Winterizing Chickens

DanBag

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2021
Hi there! The weather here in NY is finally chilly enough that we moved our girls into the garage, coop and all. I've mixed in cracked corn with their feed and have been looking for more info on what else I should do this winter. I've gotten a few treats but can't find a toy they all like and we plan on building a roosting ladder for them.
I have also noticed one of my girls who is normally a little sneezy (we have determined it's probably allergies after months of monitoring) is extra sneezy now. We haven't done any worm treatment yet on them as our pullets just started laying, any advice on supplements or medicine is appreciated!

Really shouldn't be a need to move birds indoors in your climate. Ensuring your coop is dry and draft free, yet well ventilated, and winterproofing a run space for them to use should be adequate.

That said, with the coop in the garage, what ventilation is available (i.e. garage door is left open 24/7)? Will the birds still be allowed to go outside, or what is the plan for giving them fresh air and sunlight?

I don't believe in medicating for something that hasn't been confirmed. Have you confirmed they have worms and if so, what kind? Have you confirmed with a vet that there's an allergy (as opposed to respiratory issue from lack of ventilation/ammonia build up?)

Any photos of the set up as it stands right now?

Really shouldn't be a need to move birds indoors in your climate. Ensuring your coop is dry and draft free, yet well ventilated, and winterproofing a run space for them to use should be adequate.

That said, with the coop in the garage, what ventilation is available (i.e. garage door is left open 24/7)? Will the birds still be allowed to go outside, or what is the plan for giving them fresh air and sunlight?

I don't believe in medicating for something that hasn't been confirmed. Have you confirmed they have worms and if so, what kind? Have you confirmed with a vet that there's an allergy (as opposed to respiratory issue from lack of ventilation/ammonia build up?)

Any photos of the set up as it stands right now?
Unfortunately we live on a hill that always gets high winds year round and our coop was gifted to us when we took in the chickens from a friend that couldn't care for them anymore and it is basically on its last legs. The last two Winters here before getting the chickens were very cold and froze our yard over with the water coming off the hill so we didn't want to risk them dying in the frigid winds and ice outside.

There are several windows in our garage for air and sunlight and a side door they can wander in and out of as they please however so far they have opted to stay inside with the weather changes already.

There is no vet in my area that treats any livestock so I have been relying on these forums for assistance in raising and caring for the chickens. Until this point the chickens have been outside completely free range. I've read articles and forums recommending worming twice a year in that case. I have no pictures of the set up currently.

I have also noticed one of my girls who is normally a little sneezy (we have determined it's probably allergies after months of monitoring) is extra sneezy now.

That could be from poor ventilation in the garage.

The usual guideline is to have a minimum of 1 square foot of 24/7/365 ventilation per bird and not many garages would meet that for more than the most modest-sized flock. Especially if the garage contains the usual sort of garage things -- vehicles, gasoline, paint, oil, etc.

Unfortunately we live on a hill that always gets high winds year round and our coop was gifted to us when we took in the chickens from a friend that couldn't care for them anymore and it is basically on its last legs. The last two Winters here before getting the chickens were very cold and froze our yard over with the water coming off the hill so we didn't want to risk them dying in the frigid winds and ice outside.

There are several windows in our garage for air and sunlight and a side door they can wander in and out of as they please however so far they have opted to stay inside with the weather changes already.

There is no vet in my area that treats any livestock so I have been relying on these forums for assistance in raising and caring for the chickens. Until this point the chickens have been outside completely free range. I've read articles and forums recommending worming twice a year in that case. I have no pictures of the set up currently.

As long as the garage windows can stay open even though the night and snow storms that'll definitely help with ventilation, but I do worry that it might not sufficient. If you have the time, snap a few photos so we can best figure that out.

As far as worming, some folks that live in wet, humid climates say that due to their climate worms are a constant issue, however that shouldn't be as much of an issue in an area that's freezing over, especially since the chickens are inside the garage where they can't be picking up worms from the environment. Worming chickens when they don't have a known worm load is usually not recommended - best case scenario it's just not needed and you're tossing out eggs for nothing, worst case scenario you may cause some worms to become resistant to the wormer you're using as instructions for medicating vary based on what worms you're actively treating.

Back
Top Bottom