Winterizing Complete! - pictures

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Cluckn Crazy, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Cluckn Crazy

Cluckn Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    We've finished all our outstanding projects this weekend, although long overdue. Would love your comments or critiques!

Here is our run. We've added pvc plastic on the n/e side as it's the way the cold wind blows. I wanted it clear to see them from the house and to allow the little bit of sunshine they get to come in. Yes, thats our guard dog/chicken chaser (aka puppy, although shes 9).

[​IMG]

We brought in hay bales and added roosts for more shelter, and just plain fun.

[​IMG]

The tunnel has been modified with lid and sides for poop control (learned the hard way). They spend most of their time there, but not sure why. Plastic sheets were stapled along the wall, as it turns out the snow blows right in covering everything, including the food bins and tools.

[​IMG]

The heated dog bowl is working fine. It partly freezes in the top of the waterer, but there's always water!

[​IMG]

I added the roost along the window (they were begging for it). So far that's where they sleep. They've been know to huddle under the platform during the day when it's cold. The bowl for feed has replaced the pvc feeders, we all like it better. The mash we use results in alot of waste, so the bowl lets them sratch and pick. The pvc feeders are great for grit.

[​IMG]

The vent over the tunnel is the only space left open for ventilation during the colder days. There's 3 others like it closed up for now. The pop door is open during the day. So far dry, and odourless.

[​IMG]

Thanks so much for looking! Good luck in winter!

2. lichick28

lichick28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    Great job. They look safe, warm & cozy

3. BooneChicks

BooneChicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2010
    Boone, NC
    Love your winterized coop! You gave me lots of ideas for our coop. Thanks!

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    You've done a great job. Your chickens should be very warm and happy through the winter months.

5. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Very nice! [​IMG]

6. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Great job! They look very cozy. I love your nest boxes, too.

7. Thinkingaboutit

Thinkingaboutit Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2010
    Great Job!

8. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Quote:[​IMG] totally love it!!!

9. Cluckn Crazy

Cluckn Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Thanks for your comments. I've opened the door to let them free range, but there's no grass in site so they don't come out. I've seen 2 bird hawks the past couple days so I'm hesitant to let brown chickens run around in the white snow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by