Winterizing Nipple Waterers? UPDATE Really? No One Knows?

I'm using a 100 foot cord. I just made sure and plugged it into a GFI outlet. I didn't have any in my garage, so I went to home depot and bought an adapter that converts a regular three prong outlet into a GFI outlet. I think all of these types of devices say to not use an extension cord, but I think it really is referring to not using an indoor rated cord.

diagram.gif

They use this system for Rabbits. Should work fine for chickens as well.
You can buy them pre-made for about 200.00 or piece together your own for less if you are handy.
Insulating the holding tank and the pipes will make the system work much more efficiently.

Another option is to run heat cable: Though you would need 2 cables to be good down to about 0deg
opendrw.gif

http://www.bassequipment.com
http://www.klubertanz.com

Just want to mention on those extension cords that your heaters say not to use. Usually you're told not to run an extension cord with high wattage items because of the resistance of them either causing the cord to burn up or pop your breakers and make anything on that circuit useless until you flip the breaker back. So with the heaters running on extension cords you're risking a fire or a non-existent water heater. Might want to be careful . . .

I'm sure a proper electrician (which I'm not) can chime in and tell you exactly whether your situation is a danger or not.

Just a couple thoughts about making a recirculating system from scratch.

Use an insulated cooler for your water reservoir. Much easier than trying to insulate a bucket.
Insulating the pipe is easy and cheap.
You could use a submersible aquarium heater but remember if your water runs too low they explode. So lay it on the bottom sitting on a tile so it will not have a chance to harm the plastic.
You will also want a larger one rather than smaller. They are designed to raise water from room temperature not freezing temps.
Submersible pumps are easy to get in the pond section of any big box store.

Cash is tight ATM or I would be building one right now.

My husband built a waterer with a recirculating pump, it has one rather long pvc pipe with around 30 nipples in it, and then it recirculates back into the main trash can. It's not insulated. The recirculated line kept the trash can from freezing, and the pipes are not frozen, but all the nipples were frozen. I just added a stock tank heater, and we'll see if it works. This waterer lasts my birds about half a week to a week depending. I'm not sure if warming the water will be enough for the nipples, but we have pretty mild weather here, with it only freezing at night typically. So I'm guessing there will be a handful of days it won't work, but I'll let you know if adding the heater is enough. I think without heat you're gonna be in trouble though, ours is circulating really well, and it is not that cold out, and yet the nipples are frozen.

I also live in a cold area. I's called, Minnesota. I think a person could get a floatable tank heater, like the ones they use for cattle water tanks. I've seen theme at our local Fleet Store. They come in different sizes.

I use aquarium heaters. Down to 10 below last night and no freezing. I use a 25watt one for anything down to 15 degrees. I add in a 75 watt when it goes colder.

Back
Top Bottom