Winterizing Nipple Waterers? UPDATE Really? No One Knows?

It got really cold here lately, down around 0F, supposedly -7F with windchill to -17F. I never saw any colder than 0F on our thermometer, though. Our 3 gal bucket with vertical nipples and with the K&H 250W stock tank deicer froze up the nipples in this cold. The bucket is in the first run, which is enclosed on 2 sides and partially protected by a large shed on the side where wind would be coming from, but we haven't had more than a very slight breeze. I bought a 100W fish tank heater at Petco for $30. I would have bought a 75W one as someone else here suggested, but they had 50W, 100W, 150W+ and decided to err on the conservative side. I cleaned out the bucket, refilled with water, set the fish heater in the bucket, waited 15 minutes, then hung it in the first run outside. In the morning, the water was warm but the nipples where frozen. No, actually they were stuck. I realized that when I cleaned out the bucket inside the warm house I never checked to see that the nipples were functioning. We have fairly hard water and I wonder if they somehow got stuck due to minerals combined with being frozen? I don't know. But I pressed up on the metal nipple part and wiggled it several times before it broke loose and then worked as normal again. It hasn't frozen up or otherwise gotten stuck since. It seems overkill to heat the water to 76F, but it's working at least. It probably doesn't heat it that warm, but I bet the tank heater is going 24/7 in this type of cold. Yes, I had bought the stock tank heater based upon what I had read on here. Maybe those folks aren't dealing with quite the same kind of cold. I wished it had worked, but it didn't. Fortunately it's been less than 30 days since I bought the K&H deicer so I'll return it to Amazon if I can only find the original packaging!
Quote:

I appreciate all the replies regarding freezing nipples. I have decided to order the horizontal side mounted nipples

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321248031268?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

We'll make a new bucket with these nipples and see how that works. Several people say they have had success with them. Also I'm hoping that they don't drip so much. A waste of water, and makes a mess.

If the nipples still freeze, we're going to try an aquarium heater. My K&H 250 watt deicer has a built in timer so it cuts off when the water reaches something like 42 degrees. Maybe the water just doesn't get warm enough to transfer the heat to the nipples.

It'll take another cold snap before we know if the new nipples are working, but I'll try to report back either way.

Donna

I use this stock tank heater in my 5 gallon bucket and no problem at all, it's been 12 degrees in the morningso I
went out to check them and the water dripped out perfectly, this tank heater will keep 30 gallons of water unfrozen might be overkill but it works great.

Got this heater yesterday to replace a bird bath heater that was not keeping the nipples from freezing and so far it works great. It was 15 degrees overnight and the water and nipples were still running this morning.

I appreciate all the replies regarding freezing nipples. I have decided to order the horizontal side mounted nipples

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321248031268?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

We'll make a new bucket with these nipples and see how that works. Several people say they have had success with them. Also I'm hoping that they don't drip so much. A waste of water, and makes a mess.

If the nipples still freeze, we're going to try an aquarium heater. My K&H 250 watt deicer has a built in timer so it cuts off when the water reaches something like 42 degrees. Maybe the water just doesn't get warm enough to transfer the heat to the nipples.

It'll take another cold snap before we know if the new nipples are working, but I'll try to report back either way.

Donna

How did they work out for you?

Has anyone that uses the aquarium heaters have one crack or break? They are much more fragile and meant to stay submerged. Also not jostled around by big fat roosters playing king of the coop. Accidentally running low on water can crack them an you might not see it. then hand in bucket.....zap...body on floor.

I love the sound of less wattage, but know the hazards of the aquarium heaters cracking and getting electrocuted. The sealed ones for the buckets don't have the same problem.
What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I *just* installed an aquarium heater in my 3 gal bucket about a week ago. The package says "nearly indestructible" as for the glass it is made of. I imagine this is similar to the tempered glass in vehicle windshields. If it did crack, it won't shatter. Mine came with suction cups to fasten it to the bottom of the bucket, which so nicely gets it right up near the nipples to keep them thawed. I'm not worried about it breaking. I think even if you did have a large rooster attack the bucket, knock it to the ground it wouldn't crack it. I haven't tried it but I bet it just isn't so easy to break one these things. As long as the power cord is up high and away from any chickens, the chance of them shredding the cord is slim to none. The one I bought also has an auto safety shut off should it lose contact with water, such as running low on water. Still, I would never take the chance to let any water heating device, auto shut off or not, to run dry, just too risky. It's also important, if using a glass aquarium heater, to give a 15 minute temperature equalizing window before plugging it in or after unplugging it, so as to not shock the glass.

I know I'm new to using such a device and I might have a different opinion down the road, but there are many others on BYC who have been using the aquarium heaters for years with no issues.

Best thing is we have had NO frozen nipples since switching to this heater!

Has anyone that uses the aquarium heaters have one crack or break? They are much more fragile and meant to stay submerged. Also not jostled around by big fat roosters playing king of the coop. Accidentally running low on water can crack them an you might not see it. then hand in bucket.....zap...body on floor.

I love the sound of less wattage, but know the hazards of the aquarium heaters cracking and getting electrocuted. The sealed ones for the buckets don't have the same problem.
What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
We are also using the same 250 watt heater laying in the bottom of a 5 gal bucket, with nipples on the bottom of the bucket and cups around the sides. The cups will freeze, but the nipples do not. We have had temps in the single 0 Deg F. Works for us :)

My system uses a 1500 watt stock tank heater for the 40 gal water tank and I have heat tape run along the bottom of the pvc near the nipples themselves. Although I wrapped the pipes in foam insulation and duct tape to keep it from getting destroyed, the nipples do freeze if it gets kinda cold out. I think using 1 1/4 in pvc might be part of the problem as that's quite a bit of water to heat with just the heat tape. The nipples seem to freeze if it gets maybe -5 F or colder. I have been thinking about using a recirc. pump, but im not sure that would keep the nipples thawed.
Here are a couple pics of my setup, let me know if you have any questions about it.

Very useful info here! We also have the de-icer in the 5 Gal bucket with the verticle nipples and they have frozen twice already. The water stays unfrozen, but the nipples are frozen solid. I just pound on the awhile and eventually they start working again. I may try the horizontal nipple method after reading the advice here.

Thanks!

What are your thoughts?

5th winter with the same 3 aquarium heaters. Used 6 months of the year. The other 6 months they spend in the supply box with no special handling being knocked around every time I look for something else.

No cracks, no shattering, just unfrozen water as long as the electricity is on. Had them freeze in th water when it went off. Still no damage.

Ps, they have run dry and no damage.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom