Winterizing our coop

Thanks again, Pat. I appreciate the logic of trying to balance warmth with low humidity. Reducing draft has been my number one concern (aside from predator-proofing).

Nice little coop! well laid out for your area.

Pat nailed the chicken wire thing.... It holds chickens great but a coon will go thru it like paper. Wiring the floor is really not needed just run the wire down the side and let some lay on the ground to block digging predators. remember critter will chew thru fiberglas greenhouse panels and visquen too

As to insulation, I suggest you don't get too wrapped up about it. A lot of people here don't worry until -30. Most important is keeping your birds dry and clean with plenty of feed and CLEAN water because their air gaps in the feathers will keep them warm. The ventilation is also important but prevent drafts. Foam board is great insulation but my chicken seem to love to peak at it and spread it arpond for fun

With your design, how about streaching the plastic out like a tent fly? It would allow air to circulate, keeps them dry, and prevents them from pecking thru it. Ff you simply extend the frame with some long 2x's and attach the plastic to it, the coop will still be mobile.

How about hanging your feed and water? It makes it easier to move the coop and if the feeder it about head height, they will waste less and can scratch the spillage

Thanks Brian. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, given no prior woodworking experience, and if not for the chicken wire. Tent staking the plastic is interesting, but if the wind is heavy I think I'd rather frame it up to keep it from rattling around as much. Food is now hanging as far from the side as possible, while still out of the line of poop fire from the perch, but the water is still on the ground, pretty clean too, and still pretty easy to reach for moving the tractor. So far, it's been OK on the ground. Back to the feeder, though it's small, I've been happy with how long it's been staying filled in the coop. Seems they've taken on other food such as weeds and bugs.

Back
Top Bottom