Winterizing question

capebird

Songster
12 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Cape Cod
My coop has 2 vents that run along the front and rear of the coop.
I'm wondering if I should close these vents off for the winter to prevent
cold air from entering the coop. I have 4 barred rocks... the coop is about 4 x 5
footprint and about 5 feet tall. Please see pict below.
thanks... I should mention the winter temps here average about 15 to 25 degrees
during the day .... and can get down to 10 or below at night.
Thanks

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Nope you are good. They will grow the feathers they need. Great lookin coop by the way. You don't really have to worry about the cold until about -40, then really all you need to do is make their roost area smaller with blankets, but always, always, always, always leave your vents wide open.

you do need to get shingles on that thing before the tar paper curls though...
big_smile.png

Thanks for the advise.
This picture was taken before the run roof was shingled....
so the tar paper is now covered with cedar shingles :)

My Pullet Palace (8x5) has vents set up exactly as yours are. The roosts are under the rear (lower) vents on one end. What I've done to regulate drafts is to put drop down doors in sections over the vents. On each 8' run I have three doors, about evenly divided, using the studs as barriers between the sections. In cold weather, that allows me to close the two on the lower side over the roosts while leaving all of those at the top open. If we get extreme cold winds, I can close some of those on the top temporarily if needed. Warm and moderate weather, all the vents remain wide open.

When it is coldest out is actually when you need the most ventilation. Fresh air is most critical in extreme conditions, It does not get cold enough in the US to significantly challenge a healthy chicken. Birds survive over here in open face coops. A buddy of mine raises his birds in a coop that has one wall (north), one wall (east), and a roof, the rest is hardware fabric. With -34* and 50 mile an hour winds, he said they just kinda poof up now and then and don't move until morning. Then in the AM they run around like normal.

Back
Top Bottom