Winterizing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by amanda1, Oct 18, 2015.

1. amanda1

amanda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2015
    Our chicken house has a 8" insulated floor, but the walls are board and batton and have many 3/4" gaps. (My father in law built it). He and my husband say it will be fine for winter, but after seeing some of the beautiful houses in here, I am concerned it will let in too much wind during the winter months. What do some if you experienced chicken owners think? We live in southeast PA.

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hello & welcome! [​IMG] As long as your chickens are dry and draft-free, they will be fine. It sounds like you have some concerns about drafts as you should be in Pa! [​IMG]
    Another thing to think about, 3/4 inch is large enough for weasels and other little nasties to get in and kill your birds.
    IMO - those gaps should be sealed up asap. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Tarps make very cheap and efficient draft stoppers. If you can tarp around the sides with the prevailing winds, that will help a lot. The south side should not be sealed tight, you need plenty of ventilation, even in the depths of winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by