Winterizing

Jun 17, 2018
Western New York
My coop is the "tangled nest" the coop is elevated about 2 1/2' feet off the ground and there is quarter inch hardwire mesh under it. There's a 1x1' hole in the middle of the coop. Out side i have a decent size run. I keep the water in the coop. I don't know how to let them out and keep them warm at the same time. The coop is usaly the temp outside inside last winter my rooster lost the tips of his comb and the others had other frostbite damage. I want atleast let them out in the little pen under the coop. Im going to buy 2 straw bales and put them infront of the little pen to atleast keep all the wind out. Is insulating it worth it? We could heat it we choose not to because the negatives out weigh the benifits.

It's a good idea to winterize the pen for the cold winter weather, i'm getting ready to insulate my duck pen, I live in Pa & it's already getting cold in the evenings & the winters here can be pretty brutal, I planning on putting up tarps half way up the open part of their pen to protect them from the wind & putting hay in the pen. Last year my husband thought I was nuts because I ended up using about 4 square hay bales by the time winter was over, it kept my ducks warm & prevented frostbite but it was a mess to clean out in the spring!!!! So, YES, you should definitely insulate & keep them protected from the cold as much as possible

How big is your coop? How many birds? I would be concerned that they are not getting enough ventilation and thats causing the frostbite. Pics would help... Where are you? This is an international forum so what works for me in the mountains of Southern California means nothing to someone in Florida....

Gary

My coop is the "tangled nest"
What does this mean?

If you could post some pics of your coop and run, inside and out, it would really help.

So would knowing your location...
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-10-17_9-48-4.png

Yes, that is my coop at least where we got the inspiration for the design. I'll have some pictures tommorow. This weekend we are putting up a tarp on the east side of the run thats where the blunt of the wind comes from to cut down on direct drafts of the coop, were also buying straw bales. At night im planning on taking out the waterer ina at night then putting it back in in the morning. Is this a good idea?

If that is the coop it has no real ventilation. It's optional to add three small holes in the front and back for ventilation. Lack of ventilation causes frostbite.

For winter I use clear plastic shower curtains on 3 sides of the run. That makes the run into a greenhouse type thing. It always feels warmer in there than it is outside. I bought my shower curtains at the dollar store this year. Six were just perfect using 2 on each side. My water is kept outside in the run all winter. No sense in adding even more moisture to the coop. Pooping and breathing already adds a lot of moisture. Remember, a dry chicken is a warm chicken. Our temperatures have gone down to -22 F. The birds are happy, laying, and outside in the run all day. Pine shavings and leaves and hay as a treat are also added to the run. Over the winter they will turn into compost which also adds a bit of heat.

Rule of thumb is to have a square foot of ventilation for every bird in the coop. With your coop not being too high you will have to be creative in how to add ventilation. My coop has two 1 by 3 foot vents under the eaves, one 2 by 2 foot vent in the back where there is no wind at all, and the pop door is never closed as it opens in the covered run.

Back
Top Bottom