wintertime in NH

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by backyardnh, Dec 19, 2011.

1. backyardnh

backyardnh New Egg

Oct 8, 2011
    It has finally gotten cold up here and I don't think my girls are adapting well. I have two birds losing feathers around their neck. I don't see mites on them... What could be causing this feather loss?

Thanks in advance

Josh Bohmier

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Feather pickers. I have noticed a couple of my girls missing feathers on front of neck too. They are low in the pecking order. I have my suspicions on who is doing it, and when I'm sure the guilty one will be separated. I just spray the bare spots with Blu-Kote.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    How old are they? Could they be molting?

Mites tend to be a big problem here in NH. Did you check them very carefully at night? The first time my girls had mites I didn't catch it until it was nearly too late. I searched and searched, but couldn't see them until they were so infested the mites were crawling on me during the searches. I still didn't see any on the birds, but since I found them on me it was pretty proof positive that they had them.

It has been quite cool here, but your birds should be fine even if they are missing a few feathers. They know enough to stay out of the wind and rain/snow when they are bald-ish.

4. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    I just posted a week or so ago about one of my 8 month olds losing neck feathers and I was told molting. She does have quills there and it seems that new ones are growing back in but she was bare for quite a while. I was surprised that mine would molt this early but most responses came back to that.....Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by