Wintertime roosting

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kateseidel, Dec 22, 2010.

1. kateseidel

kateseidel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    The hens are cozying up like never before, and spending more time in the rafters (which I guess are warmer, maybe?) Perhaps if they would STOP moulting, they would be warmer....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I keep telling mine that, and it seems like every morning I find another one with molting sign on the neck. I think the only one that isn't molting now is the one who just finished a major molt. And that was a month ago and she still isn't laying again. Silly girls.

Four of them decided to keep laying anyway, though. I've only bought one dozen eggs this winter, so far. Got enough to do some Christmas baking, too.

I just found one in the corner on the floor, settling down to sleep. They could get higher but so far are roosting on the roosts, otherwise. They only cuddled one night, during or 20's cold snap; otherwise they spread out on the roosts.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2010
  3. Rivers

Rivers Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2010
    One of my hens which clearly behaves like it is the coldest, has actually begun to sleep on the floor instead of the roost. I have some straw at the bottom and it is probably warmer.

can I ask what the metallic rectangles are that seem to be joining you rafters together? What are they called?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by