wire on bottom of chicken tractor?

tnmommy

Songster
7 Years
Apr 14, 2013
Loretto, TN
We have one hoop run completed, made with two cattle panels attached to a wooden frame. We want to be able to move it like a big tractor, but I have to insist on wire on the bottom. My hubby thinks it's a waste of time to move it if there is wire on the bottom. I think welded/field fence on the bottom will allow the chickens to eat the grass and bugs but will keep them protected at night. Thoughts?

Angry Farmer

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 30, 2014
Orangeville, IL
I'm planning on a kind of hoop chicken tunnel to go over the rows of my garden and I was thinking about doing the floor too but I think it might get kinda nasty. Plus, Joel Salatin doesn't use wire on the floors of his meat bird movers so if that's good enough for him...

Primo

Songster
6 Years
May 1, 2013
Texas
Instead of a wire floor, you could attach a short apron of wire to the outside perimeter. Extending at least 2' out laying flat on the ground. This will prevent diggers. I agree with your husband. I would not want wire on the floor of a chicken tractor.

tnmommy

Songster
7 Years
Apr 14, 2013
Loretto, TN
Will that still be safe for chickens roosting under a tarp? We are having to move our adults before the coop is actually built. We have thought about only attaching a coop when we park it over our garden for the winter. I guess we could attach a coop on wheels to the tractor. We are probably moving it with our big tractor, lawn mower, or 4-wheeler so the added weight of a proper coop should still be okay.

Top Bottom