Wire on the inside OR outside of coop walls??????

330-Trapper

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 9, 2009
Minnesota
In designing my coop before adding the wire, I was wondering if puting the chicken wire on the inside of the 2x4 framing wouldn't be better So the chickens don't poop as much on the framed boards?

Wire inside or out???
hmm.png

Thanks, 330-Trapper

is this for the run or the actual coop?...

if its for the run i put it on the outside so that if a predator were to come and try pushing on it the staples of clips (whatever you used to feep it on there) would not get pushed out.

if this is going on the inside of the coop....why put chicken wire there?...its just going to allow which ever bedding you use to become trapped between the chicken wire and the wall. this could be a headache when you clean, and also harbor any bugs like lice or mites...ect... IMO

Quote:
I'm thinking on the outside so that predators have a harder time breaking in. It's easier to push against something than to pull against it. Also, the ledges on the outside could become nesting spots for wild birds. Unless you're keeping some small poultry breeds the 3.5" ledge isn't going to allow much roosting there.

On the other hand, if you're going to have glass windows then you might could rig things up where you could raise or lower the windows from outside the coop if the hardware cloth was on the inside.

Just some thoughts, I personally lean towards the wire on the outside.
smile.png

Best wishes on your project!
Ed

On the run, I placed the wire on the outside to add a little more weight resistance for predators.

In the coop, I put the wire on the inside and put trim boards over the rough edges to protect the birds.

It seems to be working fine... time will tell. Good Luck!

I put mine on the inside of the framing simply because I think it looks better. I used 1/2" hardware cloth and staples so there's no way a predator is going to be able to push the wire in. You can see it on my BYC page.

I should have answered the first replyer's question, I'm talking about a Needed Framed interior wall that separated the walk in storage area from the 8x11 coop inside the building,... I planned on putting it on the inside of the framed partition wall to keep the ca-ca poo off the framed wood and to keep them from roosting on these boards .
hmm.png

???? Thanks for the replies,

Back
Top Bottom