wire questions

sashurlow

Songster
10 Years
Aug 18, 2009
West Rutland, VT
So I just read on the forum that chicken wire will not protect against predators, which I'm concerned about with our location. I will eventually build a 4x16 ft run and coop. I was going to cover the bottom 12 inches with plywood. It will have a solid roof.
So my questions...
1, Is the plywood worth it?
2, Whats the best combination to use, full height chicken wire and 3ft 1x2 welded wire (or hardware cloth) OR full height welded wire and 3ft chicken wire.
3, What do you do to prevent digging predators?
Thanks,
Scott

Quote:
Sorry, but no.

2, Whats the best combination to use, full height chicken wire and 3ft 1x2 welded wire (or hardware cloth) OR full height welded wire and 3ft chicken wire.

Full height welded wire, no larger than 2x4 mesh (1x1 mesh is better), with something fine meshed on the inside along the bottom 2-3'. Chickenwire is ok if it's what you can get, but 1/2" chickenwire if you can find it is much better, or hardwarecloth is better still. Actually IMO there is something to be said for 1/2" plastic garden mesh, if you're not doing 1/2" wire -- it may be weaker but it will do a better job of keeping heads in and paws out than 1" chickenwire does, and really you are relying onthe welded wire fencing for *strength* per se.

3, What do you do to prevent digging predators?

Some people bury the bottom 1.5-2' of the fence (you really do need to go that deep if you want to keep diggers out). I think that is insanely too much work, and would instead recommend a 2-4' wide apron of welded wire mesh (no bigger than 2x4" mesh) laid on the ground on the outside of the run, attached securely to the bottom of the run fence. Either roll the turf back over it, or put pavers or what-have-you on it, or bend the edge downward and pin it securely down and let the grass grow up through it (it will gradually sort of merge with the ground).

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

I think that Pat gave you quite a bit of good advice. I would highly recommend the welded wire.
thumbsup.gif

Our coop is build with wood, hardware cloth, mending plates and staples holding the h/c to the first piece of wood, and then another piece of wood "sandwiching" everything together. I would stay away from chicken wire as much as possible, as a matter of fact, I think they should change what they call it.
rant.gif
the stupid stuff lets raccoons in like an open door!
It sounds like you are starting off on the right foot... absorb as much info as possible! Have fun and post pics when you're done!!!
big_smile.png

I'd go full height with the chicken wire and turn it out (like an L shape) at the bottom along the ground to stop diggers, run a landscape timber or such along the crease to keep the wire from being pushed in, and reinforce the bottom about 2 feet high with welded wire to stop dogs. Solid roof is good for shade as well as protection, although you can use just chicken wire if you wanted just to stop hawks. The plywood won't last long, will rot and warp and wouldn't really be worth it, imo.

Back
Top Bottom