1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wire Run Floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JoePa, May 14, 2011.

1. JoePa

JoePa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Lehigh County Pa.
    I know there is quite a discussion as to what material is best to cover the ground of a chicken run - cleaning the run is a job that needs to be periodically done - has anyone ever built a wire floor over the entire run - maybe a foot off the ground so that any poop would fall to the ground underneath - it would be similar to a poop tray that is used in many coops under the roost - with such an arrangement you just have to periodically scrap the poop from under the wire floor and dispose of it - the chickens don't have to walk on it at all - do you think that it would be hard for the chickens to walk on such a wire floor? - any thoughts on this matter - thanks

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    After a while it will cause injuries to their feet like bumble foot

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Sand works great and it is fine on their feet. They love to scratch about in it and dust bathe. The poop just seems to disappear.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  4. JoePa

JoePa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Lehigh County Pa.
    Quote:Thanks for the quick response - I have a wire floor under the roost in the coop - when they get off the roost they could land on the wire floor - if they happen to drop straight down -do you think that this could be a problem? - I've seen pictures where people built a wire floor over a poop pit so that it is easy to remove the poop under the roost - what do you think of such an arrangement?

5. jason_boivin

jason_boivin Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2010
    Newport News, VA
    I think it would be fine. The chickens have other places to go, other than standing on wire 24/7.

6. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    A friend of mine has a completely wire coop. I dont know if she has had problems like the ones mentioned. I did notice that the builder (her grandpa many years ago) had made these little board walk ways in the floor, but most of the poop fell through the wire anyway. I have a raised hutch that my chicks sleep in at night, the floor is hardware cloth. I put a rubber mat down because they seemed to be uncomfortable walking on it at first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by