Wire size for chicken tunnel

annalamb

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2020
I am getting ready to move my chicks outside and am looking for ways to expand their enclosure. I have a 8x8 coop and a 4x8 run leftover from when I last had chickens. I am thinking of adding a chicken tunnel to this, made from flex tube and chicken wire. I am looking into different options for wire types and size. Is 2" chicken wire okay to use for chickens for temporary daytime enclosures? Would it work for a tunnel?
(Cost is a major factor for me right now, as is the availability of materials. My other option is 1" wire, but it costs twice as much.)
I am not overly concerned with predators as we are located in an area with few to none. It would only be daytime; the chickens would be shut in at night.

You know about the predator issues. You'll be safer than people that free range.

That wire will keep older chickens in. Baby chicks can get in and out through 2" holes. How old, depends on if they bantam or full sized fowl chicks. That's the only potential issue I can think of.

This a the chicken tunnel I built when we lived in town. The chickens LOVED it. I used 1/2" hardware cloth and pvc pipe.
20170218_145839.jpg

I used 2x3 in welded wire for my tunnels. Got it at Lowes.They are made into a complete circle and then one side is folded down so they look like a D from their profile. I used landscape cloth stakes to hold them down. They were really easy to put together, and my girls LOVE THEM! But, they are only in use when I'm home... they arent completely predator proof. The predator would have a time getting to them, but it wouldnt be impossible I guess I should say ☺

Back
Top Bottom