1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Wiring up a fan ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 2hot2chicken, Feb 16, 2012.

1. 2hot2chicken

2hot2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    So not really an electrician so I have a question....
    On a computer fan it has 3 wires, red/black/white, so do I need to wire all three together with the 2 wires on a 12 volt dc adapter? If I do what combo do I do and if I do not then which 1 can I cut off? I was thinking red was +, black - and white ground? Am I right?

2. Backwoods Bntms

Backwoods Bntms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Just use the red + and black - . Don't use the white.

jj

3. 92Pony

92Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    South Carolina
    I believe I read where the white is a control that the PC uses for fan speed. As stated above, I'd use red and black and see how that goes.

4. Jessshan8

Jessshan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    Kalispell, Mt
    yes use the red and black wires just check the fan with the power supply as it will only run with the correct wire to wire connection. all you have to do is touch the wires together if it runs mark the wires if not just reverse the wires and mark them that way when you connect them after installing it you know it will work without plugging it in. not to worry about getting shocked 12v wont shock you if one of the wires from your power supply has a whith strip on its side connect it to the red wire

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by