wishing goose would go broody

cricket-cricket

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 22, 2007
Any one know if its possible to encourage a bird to go broody? Our geese built nests, started laying, began toying with the idea - would sit for a few hours and then give up. Now they've quit sitting altogether. Eventually, we collect the eggs - sometimes a whole pile! Not sure why they're biding their time or why they started sitting, if even for a small piece, and then haulted that behaviour altogether. Sunlight? SHould we leave the eggs?

tx

Some geese are not as broody as others. I have heard chinnese rarely sit.
My goose does not sit untill she is done laying her clutch which has been over 20 eggs. I only take the oldest eggs (she has got to have something to sit on)
If you keep taking them she is supposed to lay more than if you dont but she will be much less likely to sit.
I would not leave her more than she can cover because eventually they will all get chilled when she turns them.
I am wondering about my goose this year too. She has been almost sitting too. As of right now she is sitting (I had a pair of canadians land on the pond which might make her more territorial)

Back
Top Bottom