With murder in my eye

I know it's too early to tell which rooster is the sweetest but I'm going to point out an obvious fact. The only time you need a rooster is if you plan on raising chicks, or to protect your flock . I don't have one and I'm so glad about that.
I have 18 roosters.

You can use them as food too. Not just as breeders, or guards.

I know it's too early to tell which rooster is the sweetest but I'm going to point out an obvious fact. The only time you need a rooster is if you plan on raising chicks, or to protect your flock . I don't have one and I'm so glad about that.
I do want a rooster so I can avoid having to buy replacement hens every five or six years. Breeding my own replacements also makes it easier to keep a closed flock.

He doesn’t need to be lovable, just not people aggressive and decent with the hens. His other purpose will be to recognize that those who fly overhead are sometimes bad news and not just sky decorations. One the jerks is great at alerting to wild birds that get too close to the yard. He’s my likeliest candidate for staying, atm.

Yup, that’s the plan for when I begin hatching my own. I just haven’t readied myself for it this soon. It’s mostly a mental preparation, but there is some information and equipment gathering to do also.
It's not that hard. I think of the fact they had a good life, & now are gonna serve a new purpose to feed us.

It's good knowing you raised your food on a good diet, & gave them a happy life before they feed you, & your family.

Well, after a week of procrastinating, I took the plunge. I got tired of hearing my girls screech and squawk because they're being jumped.

I put an add on Craigslist to dump two of the three roos. Free. With delivery (limited area). I see the advert runs for 45 days. If they aren't gone by then, I'll sweeten the pot with a few hens and charge money. Girls should be laying by that time.

One nibble on CL may have rehomed one roo. But transfer isn’t until Sunday. After listening to another day of chaos, I decided to put the Disrupter in the garage. I hate cooping him up there alone when the weather is so mild, but it has been sheer heaven to only hear a couple of crows and clucks from the yard. Glancing out the window, there are several dust bathers in the sun.

Back
Top Bottom