1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Withholding period for egg consumption?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by krista74, Jan 5, 2015.

1. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Hi all,

I have a girl who has recovered from a recent respiratory illness (she exhibited some wheezing but that was the extent of it) and she was prescribed "Oxytet Powder CCD OTC" which was a yellow powder that I added to her water for four days. She has now ben five days without antibiotics, and seems fine. So fine, in fact, that she escaped our isolation pen and re-joined the main flock - which conveniently contains six identical birds to herself!

Up to this point we have not been eating her eggs. But I am concerned that I will not be able to pick out hers from the others that I collect in the nests each day.

My question is as follows:-

1. What is the desirable withholding period for egg consumption with this drug?

2. If I do eat one of her eggs by mistake, am I going to shrivel up and die a slow and painful death? Or is there a small chance that I might be ok? [​IMG]

I really would like to avoid throwing out all of the eggs - that seems like such a waste. I do have two of her eggs, clearly marked with a large "OXY" written on them, to try and decipher which eggs that are laid might be hers.

Thanks in advance,

- Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by