WK #3

So the second set of eggs I received Ive already reported were duds with only one possibly making it to hatch. Sure enough, I started seeing the fuzzy gray blob around the unadvancing embryos and removed them all to protect the one. It's got 4 days to lock down, but-maybe because the shell is so thin?- we've been able to see the edges of it's feathers. I'm excited for the little man to come back, because today I could see one tiny foot's toes perfectly backlit by my light. Does the yoke sit ontop of the belly until it's absorbed? Kind of looked like a sunrise on it's midsection.

So the second set of eggs I received Ive already reported were duds with only one possibly making it to hatch. Sure enough, I started seeing the fuzzy gray blob around the unadvancing embryos and removed them all to protect the one. It's got 4 days to lock down, but-maybe because the shell is so thin?- we've been able to see the edges of it's feathers. I'm excited for the little man to come back, because today I could see one tiny foot's toes perfectly backlit by my light. Does the yoke sit ontop of the belly until it's absorbed? Kind of looked like a sunrise on it's midsection.
Wow! Cool that you can see so much! The yolk isn’t absorbed until just before hatching, but I’ve never visualized it!

Well, I'm not giving up just yet, but having my doubts on the gran's egg. Was moving around before lock down but that was 2 days ago, now day 27. Checked just now,see/hear nothing and egg temp is right at 99°. I added a bit of water just now to increase humidity incase the little guy is stuck.
In other news, today will be moving day for the other 2. They've been w/o heat plate for a cpl of weeks (pointless when room is as warm as heat plate), been outside during the day and in brooder with window open for a wk.
Since the brooder is a tote and not looking like this egg is going to hatch, have decided I will slide it under drop board,cut an entry in the side so they can get in but the elders can't.
I come back to this thread often to remind myself of what I did when and am still surprised by the growth of these 2 in comparison. They're more on par w/what ended up being the pearl jumbos than the last crew that weren't. Just another curious observation. Not sure if they're healthier or the 6 vs 2 competing for space (the bigger the tank, the bigger the fish) or mb they had jumbo in their lineage.
No gender reveal as of yet, but the one we call Mouse is bound to be a pain. "Mouse" bc it scurries like one,and w/wings it figured out how to use early enough to flutter out of the enclosure before taking off on foot to difficult to reach places and now tries to get through the window screen. It has not taken to human interaction and will bite if able.
Given my (limited) experience w/goons, I am picturing R2elk :gig:lau right now.
But the other one, the one my gran wants to name Bella2- is familiar territory. Hops on my hand, rides on my shoulder, calm, doesn't try to get in the face of elders where as Mouse marches right into the thick of it despite the little bald spot from being thunked on the head.

Well, I'm not giving up just yet, but having my doubts on the gran's egg. Was moving around before lock down but that was 2 days ago, now day 27. Checked just now,see/hear nothing and egg temp is right at 99°. I added a bit of water just now to increase humidity incase the little guy is stuck.
In other news, today will be moving day for the other 2. They've been w/o heat plate for a cpl of weeks (pointless when room is as warm as heat plate), been outside during the day and in brooder with window open for a wk.
Since the brooder is a tote and not looking like this egg is going to hatch, have decided I will slide it under drop board,cut an entry in the side so they can get in but the elders can't.
I come back to this thread often to remind myself of what I did when and am still surprised by the growth of these 2 in comparison. They're more on par w/what ended up being the pearl jumbos than the last crew that weren't. Just another curious observation. Not sure if they're healthier or the 6 vs 2 competing for space (the bigger the tank, the bigger the fish) or mb they had jumbo in their lineage.
No gender reveal as of yet, but the one we call Mouse is bound to be a pain. "Mouse" bc it scurries like one,and w/wings it figured out how to use early enough to flutter out of the enclosure before taking off on foot to difficult to reach places and now tries to get through the window screen. It has not taken to human interaction and will bite if able.
Given my (limited) experience w/goons, I am picturing R2elk :gig:lau right now.
But the other one, the one my gran wants to name Bella2- is familiar territory. Hops on my hand, rides on my shoulder, calm, doesn't try to get in the face of elders where as Mouse marches right into the thick of it despite the little bald spot from being thunked on the head.
Awww, I hope your egg makes it! Your keets sound like characters! I can’t wait to hear what they are getting up to.

Forgot videos have go via youtube so cut slides. 🤷‍♀️ Day #28- the infrared egg temp is 100.8 which should suggest life? But I'm still seeing no movement, no sign of pipping, no sound, no scratching. Temp 100.1 humidity now 65%. I don't know if I should make a hole, ride it out or chuck the egg.
Lol PJ knocked on the back door and I hit send. Goonie Guinea. Ok, slides- ps even if they are unconclusive,if someone wants to/can use them as a teaching moment ("here you see-")- awesome.
20200913_125334.jpg

Back
Top Bottom