WK #3

Forgot videos have go via youtube so cut slides. 🤷‍♀️ Day #28- the infrared egg temp is 100.8 which should suggest life? But I'm still seeing no movement, no sign of pipping, no sound, no scratching. Temp 100.1 humidity now 65%. I don't know if I should make a hole, ride it out or chuck the egg.
Lol PJ knocked on the back door and I hit send. Goonie Guinea. Ok, slides- ps even if they are unconclusive,if someone wants to/can use them as a teaching moment ("here you see-")- awesome.View attachment 2331970
Not encouraging, unfortunately. I would carefully open from the air cell to confirm that the embryo had died. If you open and it smells bad, that also confirms death.

Well, the little guy was a fighter, I give him that, but I figured the odds weren't good.His was the only one that didn't have a detached air cell- and for me to recognize it gives you a good indication of how bad they were. The shells were thin and gritty, nothing like a normal guinea egg. I assume lack of calcium for the hen. Does that affect a growing embryo?
The gran will not be happy, but there's always next year...🙄

Well, the little guy was a fighter, I give him that, but I figured the odds weren't good.His was the only one that didn't have a detached air cell- and for me to recognize it gives you a good indication of how bad they were. The shells were thin and gritty, nothing like a normal guinea egg. I assume lack of calcium for the hen. Does that affect a growing embryo?
The gran will not be happy, but there's always next year...🙄
I’m sorry that this group of eggs didn’t work out as well as the last group!

Mutt n' Jeff.,er..Mouse & Bella2..11 1/2 wks,
20201023_143325.jpg

Cute!!! And what colors are they again???
:confused: lol. Mouse (Mutt) is pearl gray - is there a distinction between "pearl gray" and "jumbo/french pearl gray"?-
Bella (Jeff) was sired by a buff dundotte w/hen being either lavender pied or pearl gray pied. Shortly after hatch, @R2elk said maybe brown. She's mostly a creamy white/tan w/light brown splotches on her back,fully dotted, and you can see her neck is dark/brown.
"Mutt n' Jeff" is a misnomer, as both are female, but they stick together, groom each other, etc.

Wow, her wings are indeed glorious with the dove grey edges in white! I can’t see dotting on the picture... :idunno Do your birds have two names each? I accidentally do that sometimes - drives my DD nuts!
Not on purpose, but it works out that way. In this case it's more of a joke based on their companionship.
My grandson named them all as keets, so my jumbo gray male is "PJ" (as in PJ Maxx-cartoon). I refer to him as My/The Big Gray bc he was the alpha. That seems to be in play now.
Rosie, on the otherhand, has had a series of names attached to her. As she grew up & chilled out I found myself calling her "Mama". Even when she was demanding someone to "Come back," she often seemed to be muttering it to herself, and now she quietly mumurs "cocoa" all the time so I end up calling her some variation of that- Mama Cocoa, Cocoa, Rosie Cocoa.
Blue is my Baby. He's a character, whether staring at you like he's more intuitive than given credit for or wondering what your problem is that you don't comprehend what he's telling you, to running around the yard w/strands of hay wound around his helmet like a crown, tossing his rear in the air like he's at a party.

Back
Top Bottom