Wk old poult constantly pacing and chirping loud

Kandrawhiz

Chirping
Apr 28, 2020
I bought 4 midgit whites on Friday and by Sunday 3 died. Not sure why, brooder is 95 to 100 degrees, with plenty of room to get away from the heat, they were eating and drinking. Anyway I have one left and he, I think it is a Tom, paces his brooder and chirps super loud he will do it for hours if I let him. If I sit and talk to him he will be quiet for a minute then starts again. The only time he is quiet is if he is being held. He loves my husband who can tell him quiet while he is in his brooder and the little one actually is quiet for a few minutes. I worry about his pacing will it make him crazy? The chirping is so loud too it drives us crazy. He is in my bedroom and had been sleeping with us for the last 2 nights just so we can get some sleep. I have my smallest(she is half the size of the others) chick who is so docile also in with him thinking that he would have company. He pays her no attention except to go peck her or walk over her. He will eat when she eats though. I thought about getting him a couple chicks more his size and see if that helps. I was going to order more turkeys,as poultry has become the new toilet paper in our area with the covid19 thing going on so I can't find any turkeys or chicks for that matter. I am scared to order turkeys and have more die on me. This little lonely poult doesn't sleep in his brooder cuz all he does is cry and pace. Other than eat and drink really good. We tell him get a drink and he does. LOL We made him a rice sock, which I warm up and put in a knit hat, he lays in it and will sleep or he sleeps in my neck or my husband's. Am I creating a monster? We just want him to calm dow and rest in his brooder not pace and cry. I will attach a pic of him and his favorite person ( my husband). He didn't seem to do it when the other poults were with him that is why I put a 4 wk old chick with him. He also has a stuffed animal in his pen. I am trying to attach a video of his pacing but it won't let me.

Attachments

• IMG_20200428_124229857.jpg
    IMG_20200428_124229857.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20200428_123603559.jpg
    IMG_20200428_123603559.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 15
I bought 4 midgit whites on Friday and by Sunday 3 died. Not sure why, brooder is 95 to 100 degrees, with plenty of room to get away from the heat, they were eating and drinking. Anyway I have one left and he, I think it is a Tom, paces his brooder and chirps super loud he will do it for hours if I let him. If I sit and talk to him he will be quiet for a minute then starts again. The only time he is quiet is if he is being held. He loves my husband who can tell him quiet while he is in his brooder and the little one actually is quiet for a few minutes. I worry about his pacing will it make him crazy? The chirping is so loud too it drives us crazy. He is in my bedroom and had been sleeping with us for the last 2 nights just so we can get some sleep. I have my smallest(she is half the size of the others) chick who is so docile also in with him thinking that he would have company. He pays her no attention except to go peck her or walk over her. He will eat when she eats though. I thought about getting him a couple chicks more his size and see if that helps. I was going to order more turkeys,as poultry has become the new toilet paper in our area with the covid19 thing going on so I can't find any turkeys or chicks for that matter. I am scared to order turkeys and have more die on me. This little lonely poult doesn't sleep in his brooder cuz all he does is cry and pace. Other than eat and drink really good. We tell him get a drink and he does. LOL We made him a rice sock, which I warm up and put in a knit hat, he lays in it and will sleep or he sleeps in my neck or my husband's. Am I creating a monster? We just want him to calm down and rest in his brooder not pace and cry. I will attach a pic of him and his favorite person ( my husband). He didn't seem to do it when the other poults were with him that is why I put a 4 wk old chick with him. He also has a stuffed animal in his pen. I am trying to attach a video of his pacing but it won't let me.
This behavior is because the poult is lonely. You can try adding a mirror so it will think it is not the only turkey. You can also try leaving a radio on for the poult.

A brooder temperature of 95°F to 100°F is too hot for poults especially if it is the air temperature. The temperature needs to be measured at the bedding level. I start my poults in a 4'x4' brooder with the heated area at 90°F. The food and water is in the area that is around 80°F.

This behavior is because the poult is lonely. You can try adding a mirror so it will think it is not the only turkey. You can also try leaving a radio on for the poult.

A brooder temperature of 95°F to 100°F is too hot for poults especially if it is the air temperature. The temperature needs to be measured at the bedding level. I start my poults in a 4'x4' brooder with the heated area at 90°F. The food and water is in the area that is around 80°F.
Thank you I will lower the temp, that is with the heat lamp. I will also try the mirror. We tried s radio and it didn't change anything in his behavior. I attached a pic of what he is in. Do you think getting him some chicks his size would help

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200429-072635.png
    Screenshot_20200429-072635.png
    221.5 KB · Views: 14
Thank you I will lower the temp, that is with the heat lamp. I will also try the mirror. We tried s radio and it didn't change anything in his behavior. I attached a pic of what he is in. Do you think getting him some chicks his size would help
It probably would not hurt for now but may create problems later when it doesn't understand that there is a difference between turkeys and chickens.

I would make sure that you are only heating one end of your brooder so that there is a warm zone and a cool zone.

[/QUO

Attachments

• IMG_20200427_140440544.jpg
    IMG_20200427_140440544.jpg
    560.7 KB · Views: 19
It probably would not hurt for now but may create problems later when it doesn't understand that there is a difference between turkeys and chickens.

I would make sure that you are only heating one end of your brooder so that there is a warm zone and a cool zone.
Maybe I will order some poults for him

Maybe I will order some poults for him

The other part of his cage is 82 degrees I moved the thermometer to check. I just hung a mirror in there too and he is still chirping like crazy. Even with a radio on. I am going to get him so he can hang out with me and rest for awhile LOL

The other part of his cage is 82 degrees I moved the thermometer to check. I just hung a mirror in there too and he is still chirping like crazy. Even with a radio on. I am going to get him so he can hang out with me and rest for awhile LOL
It is getting you well trained. It chirps and you give it the attention it desires.

I bought 4 midgit whites on Friday and by Sunday 3 died. Not sure why, brooder is 95 to 100 degrees, with plenty of room to get away from the heat, they were eating and drinking. Anyway I have one left and he, I think it is a Tom, paces his brooder and chirps super loud he will do it for hours if I let him. If I sit and talk to him he will be quiet for a minute then starts again. The only time he is quiet is if he is being held. He loves my husband who can tell him quiet while he is in his brooder and the little one actually is quiet for a few minutes. I worry about his pacing will it make him crazy? The chirping is so loud too it drives us crazy. He is in my bedroom and had been sleeping with us for the last 2 nights just so we can get some sleep. I have my smallest(she is half the size of the others) chick who is so docile also in with him thinking that he would have company. He pays her no attention except to go peck her or walk over her. He will eat when she eats though. I thought about getting him a couple chicks more his size and see if that helps. I was going to order more turkeys,as poultry has become the new toilet paper in our area with the covid19 thing going on so I can't find any turkeys or chicks for that matter. I am scared to order turkeys and have more die on me. This little lonely poult doesn't sleep in his brooder cuz all he does is cry and pace. Other than eat and drink really good. We tell him get a drink and he does. LOL We made him a rice sock, which I warm up and put in a knit hat, he lays in it and will sleep or he sleeps in my neck or my husband's. Am I creating a monster? We just want him to calm dow and rest in his brooder not pace and cry. I will attach a pic of him and his favorite person ( my husband). He didn't seem to do it when the other poults were with him that is why I put a 4 wk old chick with him. He also has a stuffed animal in his pen. I am trying to attach a video of his pacing but it won't let me.
I just found your post. My husband bought 2And they are relentless until they get me to hold them . They are nothing like chickens. I knew I couldn't be the only 1 pulling my hair out with this behavior. I guess they have me trained well. How did it go with yours? Did you create a monster?

You don't want it getting any human attention when he's 8 months old and 40 lbs and beating you with his wings and spurring you you'll wish you woulda just fed him and walked away. Mine started attacking my kids and wife because of the attention. He finally spurred me and that ended him.

Back
Top Bottom