wobble head

mummerhen

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 30, 2012
My Isa Red 4 yo chicken has been off the last 2 days. When I tried to drop feed water today, she did a strange wobble head impersonation, lifting her head backwards then went back to sleep.
Symptoms include:
puffed up
not eating/ drinking
laying on grass sleeping despite noise & only moving short distances
crown is pale but no obvious external damage
loose stools

She has been wormed, tick powdered and I have checked if she is egg bound. Any ideas?

Bobbing head is definately new. She last layed about 4 days ago and definately stopped laying. I havent checked the crop- will do to see if this is the problem.

Bobbing head is definately new. She last layed about 4 days ago and definately stopped laying. I havent checked the crop- will do to see if this is the problem.
She could have many things wrong
laying internal eggs
broody
internal ovarian infection
liver, kidney issue's
mites
lice
check her all over and do a through exam
is she swollen in the chest? abdomen? Is her vent palpable or hard? Does it smell? what color is it?
Crop issues

Thanks for your reply! Yep I think you might be right about the crop. Her neck is almost in an 's bend' and i'm finding it hard to see the difference between neck and crop.

Her vent is soft. She has had loose stools and is very skinny under those puffed up feathers- hasnt eaten for a few days. As i said before, she is resting her neck in s bend fashion. I have tried oil & massage of the crop but a bit unsure of what bit it is.

she probably has something stuck in there..get a flash lite, a tweezers a towel, and a friend. Wrap her up softly and snug. Open her beak and look inside. Massage her crop and see if you can find anything. Keep massaging and using oil until you remove what is there. You might have to do surgery if you can get it out. I am going to bed so you might need more information. I will look it up and post it before I head off.

Good luck

Her vent is soft. She has had loose stools and is very skinny under those puffed up feathers- hasnt eaten for a few days. As i said before, she is resting her neck in s bend fashion. I have tried oil & massage of the crop but a bit unsure of what bit it is.

You need to look at a diagram of a bird and find the crop. You might not be massaging the right thing. Her is a video of crop surgery and that might help you find it.

Back
Top Bottom