Wobbling Eggs Stopped

Both of them were really active during the night... You could hear them peeping and stumbling around! This morning when we woke up they were sleeping... For the most part the are all fluffed out and can walk fairly well. Both me and my fiancee are at school now so we have her mother watching them. Unfortunately I work right after classes so I won't be able to see our fluffy butts until 10:30 tonight :( . I think when my fiancee gets home from class she is going to add some water for them. She then has to go work at a daycare for a few hour but, when she gets home from work I think she is going to put them in the brooder... Our brooder is pretty simply. It's one of those big plastic Rubbermaid containers. We then have a "desk" light with a 60 watt bulb that sits about 3 feet above the brooder. We had it set up all day yesterday and our highest temp was 97 and that was right under the light and the lowest temp was 86 which was in the other corner. Do you guys think that this will work??? Anyother advice for us??? :)

Was it 97* on the floor of the brooder directly under the light or 1/2 inch from the light. 60 watt sounds a little low. If your brooding in the house a 100 watt would probably be sufficient. If brooding in an unheated garage or barn you'd need a 250 watt heat lamp.Remember for newly hatched chicks they need 95* directly under the light on the brooder floor for the first week. Raise the light or lower the temp by 5* each week until they're 6 weeks old. They'll also need enough room to move away from the light if they get too warm.Their activity will let you know how they feel. If they stay directly under the light all the time they're too cold. If they stay as far away from the light as possible they're too hot. If they scamper all about the brooder then they're just right. Hope this helps.

Both of them were really active during the night... You could hear them peeping and stumbling around! This morning when we woke up they were sleeping... For the most part the are all fluffed out and can walk fairly well. Both me and my fiancee are at school now so we have her mother watching them. Unfortunately I work right after classes so I won't be able to see our fluffy butts until 10:30 tonight :( . I think when my fiancee gets home from class she is going to add some water for them. She then has to go work at a daycare for a few hour but, when she gets home from work I think she is going to put them in the brooder... Our brooder is pretty simply. It's one of those big plastic Rubbermaid containers. We then have a "desk" light with a 60 watt bulb that sits about 3 feet above the brooder. We had it set up all day yesterday and our highest temp was 97 and that was right under the light and the lowest temp was 86 which was in the other corner. Do you guys think that this will work??? Anyother advice for us??? :)
Sounds like perfection..... this is one of our 5 lol! these are serama

one of our chicks is having breathing problems i think she seems okay shes drinking eating and pooping bbut she makes a clicking noise when breathing????

Back
Top Bottom