Women CAN build tractors.

shelleyb1969

Star Bright Farm
11 Years
Jul 24, 2008
Brown City, Michigan (Thumb)
Just wanted to share pics of my chicken tractor that I built a couple of years ago. It's still being used and still just as strong as ever. This winter, I put plastic over the chicken wire and a tarp over the top and kept birds in it all winter. This tractor was built out of scrap lumber and steel that I had lying around the farm. The chicken wire and hinges were the only new items used on it. The rear doors let down and I have nest boxes (plastic milk crates) hanging on the inside...super easy to remove eggs. Those rear doors are made out of the fronts of dresser drawers. There's a roost mounted in the back, and I put a black vinyl piece in front of the roost and nesting boxes. The vinyl blocks the rain and wind during the warm months when the plastic and tarp is removed.

13587_chicken_tractor_006.jpg

13587_chicken_tractor_002.jpg

13587_chicken_tractor_007.jpg

Thanks Cyn!
frow.gif
It's nothing fancy, but it serves it's purpose very well...and the best part was that it didn't cost much.
thumbsup.gif
I'm getting ready to build 2-3 more this spring...but unfortunately, I'm out of scrap materials so I'm going to put an ad on CL for stuff.

thumbsup.gif
You rock! And the test of time proves it. I wonder if it's a female thing, because one of the first things I noticed was the little broom caddy thing you have hanging there for quick clean-ups (if that's what it is...lol??).

Quote:
Awwww, thanks!
bun.gif

That little caddy is actually a cat litter sifter. I use the sifter to remove debris and dirt from the feed. With all the scratching around that the chickens do, sometimes their food pans are filled with more debris than food. The sifter works wonderfully to get it out...saves a LOT of feed, too.

"Women CAN build tractors"? Sure, all the women on here already know that. Those that have men around, though, have learned that if they let on that they CAN then the men will go in and watch golf or whatever and leave them to it. I have learned over the years not to be too handy.

That said, I like your tractor. It has all the conveniences that a tractor needs. Great job.

Great job, Michelle!
woot.gif
I have an old cheesy dresser that will soon become parts for coops. I've already used the drawers from another as nest boxes, but they haven't held up well.

I prefer that DH not get involved unless I need specific assistance. Lifting! I just go out and get it done. Not only that, I take pride in saying yup, I built that. Never occurred to me to play helpless to manipulate him.

I have an old, non-functioning gas grill that I want to turn into a nest box. The irony of it appeals to me!

I just started building my first tractor, which is also the first thing that I have EVER built. I learned that if I ask my husband to do things it happens on his time. And, in the case of chickens, it would have happened never because he wasn't interested. SO... being the independent woman that I am, I went to the Habitat ReStore and bought as much/many wood, wire, hinges, doors as I could find. The only tricky part was learning to use the circular saw, but once I mastered that I was on a roll. I let my female friend come over and help me one day, but I will not accept any help for advice from the men in my life.

I am going to make a sign for my tractor that says "No Roosters Allowed"

I am not worried about being too handy - it is the only way to get things done on my schedule!

Back
Top Bottom