Won’t eat pellets

CAF

In the Brooder
Feb 6, 2020
Hi I’m pretty new to keeping quail so any advice would be great.
I have a hanging feeder and I think Iv been to generous with the seed and pellet mix Iv been giving my quail. I mix half pellets and half mixed seeds and put that in my feeder but my quail are just picking the seed out and I think not touching the pellets to the point it’s just all pellet in the bottom of the feeder, there obviously is seed/pellets mix above that has not come down yet but I’m worried the birds go hungry as don’t seem to touch the pellets or will they eat the pellets when they get hungry enough?

What kind of quail are they? If they are buttons, pellets of any size are too big for them.

Gamebird diet is a complete diet. The seeds are like candy to a child. They will pick out the seeds and leave the rest. Personally, I would not put seeds in with the food, only give them as a treat. Make sure they have grit as well, as they need grit to digest the seeds.

There are people who feed their quail only seeds, but they balance it out with protein sources, such as boiled egg and mealworms. Quail need quite a bit of protein.

Hi thanks for your advice. They are coturnix quail so I was told the pellets would be fine for them.
Do u think I should only put the pellets in the feeder? Do you think they will eat the pellets if the seed is not in the mix? I just worry about them not eating

Hi thanks for your advice. They are coturnix quail so I was told the pellets would be fine for them.
Do u think I should only put the pellets in the feeder? Do you think they will eat the pellets if the seed is not in the mix? I just worry about them not eating
I would put just the pellets in the feeder. When they get hungry, they'll eat.

If they still don't eat it, try crushing it a bit further to see if that helps. I ground up the crumbles for my chicks, and when they grew larger it took them a while to accept normal crumble.

Hi I’m pretty new to keeping quail so any advice would be great.
I have a hanging feeder and I think Iv been to generous with the seed and pellet mix Iv been giving my quail. I mix half pellets and half mixed seeds and put that in my feeder but my quail are just picking the seed out and I think not touching the pellets to the point it’s just all pellet in the bottom of the feeder, there obviously is seed/pellets mix above that has not come down yet but I’m worried the birds go hungry as don’t seem to touch the pellets or will they eat the pellets when they get hungry enough?
If you’re trying to get them to just eat pellet, then separate out the seed and give seed occasionally to them as a treat. Mine will only pick at the seeds, too. It’s easier to just give them no choice but to eat pellets.

If you’re trying to get them to just eat pellet, then separate out the seed and give seed occasionally to them as a treat. Mine will only pick at the seeds, too. It’s easier to just give them no choice but to eat pellets.
Ok Thankyou, when I refill the feeder I think I will only put pellets in there. 👍

Back
Top Bottom