Won’t lay in nest box

Maisie01

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2021
North Florida
I have a hen that will not lay on the nesting boxes she will just lay them where she’s standing which is normally on the roost and have gotten many cracked ones. I have put her in all the nesting boxes even one that my other hen lays in every single day and have done fake eggs tried straw,shavings, and even nothing in some of them. I’ve seen her get in there and kick around like she wants to but every morning I go out there is one on the ground and I have no clue how to get her to use the nesting boxes

I have a hen that will not lay on the nesting boxes she will just lay them where she’s standing which is normally on the roost and have gotten many cracked ones. I have put her in all the nesting boxes even one that my other hen lays in every single day and have done fake eggs tried straw,shavings, and even nothing in some of them. I’ve seen her get in there and kick around like she wants to but every morning I go out there is one on the ground and I have no clue how to get her to use the nesting boxes
I have this same problem except my 2 RIRs are laying in my porch so all of their nice big eggs are cracked. Between my deep freezers and porch wall I guess is another coop in their eyes

I have this same problem except my 2 RIRs are laying in my porch so all of their nice big eggs are cracked. Between my deep freezers and porch wall I guess is another coop in their eyes
You need to lock them up in the coop/run for a week to get them in the habit of laying in the boxes. Once they develop a schedule, you can wait until they've laid before letting them out for another couple of weeks, then resume releasing them in the morning or whatever your normal routine is.

You need to lock them up in the coop/run for a week to get them in the habit of laying in the boxes. Once they develop a schedule, you can wait until they've laid before letting them out for another couple of weeks, then resume releasing them in the morning or whatever your normal routine is.
So funny you said that! My husband actually just locked them up last night when they all went up to roost!! Hopefully they will learn the way! 😆

I have 5 hens only 2 are laying and have been for about a month and a half to two months. I have 5 nesting boxes and all have a perch in front of it besides one in the far corner but I’ve seen chickens in there. They are locked in the coop all night and are let out in the morning which she has already laid by the time I get out there around 7 am. Should I lock her in there all day and night ?

I have 5 hens only 2 are laying and have been for about a month and a half to two months. I have 5 nesting boxes and all have a perch in front of it besides one in the far corner but I’ve seen chickens in there. They are locked in the coop all night and are let out in the morning which she has already laid by the time I get out there around 7 am. Should I lock her in there all day and night ?
I would! Then it kind of re establishes that is their home

Back
Top Bottom