Won 6 chickens in a raffle today! What are they?!? :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickadee30, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Chickadee30

Chickadee30 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2012
    CT
    Went to the poultry show in Springfield today and on a whim entered the chicken raffle. What's the harm I figured, right? What're the chances I actually win a bird. Well.....6 birds later!!! I'm now the proud mom of 4 new birds (2 I gave to my friend who met us at the show). I believe 2 are roosters and 2 are hens. They're all bantams and are so cute but I have no idea what breed so that's my first question.

Second question is why do they put these birds up for raffle? Are they broken down of birds? Show birds someone's just trying to get rid of? I have no idea. This was my first poultry show and my kids and I are hooked! :)

2. Chickadee30

Apr 1, 2012
    CT
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Looks like you may have 4 production red roosters. The first pic is a rooster, may be a mixed breed. You have one girl, the second pic. She could be a buff orpington.

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    None are production reds or buff orpingtons. I don't do bantams so that's about all I can help you out with on breeds. The first pair, the rooster looks to be blue wheaten, the hen a wheaten, in color. The rest of your boys could be partridge in color and might be bantam rocks.

I know some people donate extra birds to help raise money for the club putting on the show, nothing wrong with the birds. If these are from a person that shows themselves, these would not be show quality but might be breeder quality. But by no means does it mean that just because they were donated, that the birds are even breeder quality.

Hope this helps you out some.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    The first 2 birds look like blue laced red Wyandottes with straight combs (they should have rose combs, but straights pop up every now and then), the hen looks washed out (which is possible if the breeder breeds the splash variety together).
    They could all be mixed breeds, but they look healthy enough to me. Good luck with them.

6. Flat Rock farm

Flat Rock farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2012
    Branchton, ON Canada
    I agree the first two look Wyandotte in shape, but with straight comb on the fellow, can't see the hens comb. Not sure what the other rooster is but he has nice colour and they look very healthy [​IMG]

7. Chickadee30

Apr 1, 2012
    CT
    Ok now I'm worried about whether or not they're hardy breeds and can handle cold weather. They're in my house right now cause I will handle integration tomorrow (any tips on that would help too) but what do I do if they're not ok outside? I'm new. Only have had buff orps for the past couple years. :)

8. luvmypets

luvmypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    Those are Old English Game i am so Jealous the first is a red pyle that hasnt been dubbed...can i have him[​IMG]You have a red Pyle Breeding pair i really want them are they for sale.[​IMG]

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It looks like you have a pair of Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, and possibly some Partridge Rock cockerels.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I would contact the show admin and see if you can find out more about who donated the birds. I'm really not seeing the Wyandotte or the blue laced on the first pair folks keep talking about, but they all look like quality birds to me. The only hen in your pics is the second bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by