wondering about berkeley county wv poultry laws

Anyone find an answer to this, yet? lol
I laugh because the information is still not available or easily found online.
I contacted the Town of Hedgesville clerk and sent an email asking about poultry and fowl (specifically chicken) laws and coops laws... she said she will get back to me after some research...

Yes! The town of hedgesville has no restrictions, only that they can not roam free. We discovered my property falls under Berkeley country jurisdiction so I contacted the council clerk and he said there are zero zoning restrictions in Berkeley for any animals.

Berkley City Council

Q: Does Berkeley County have Zoning?

A: Yes. The majority of the county is not zoned. However, zoning was adopted for the Tuscarora and Windewald District in the early 1970s. Maps and the regulations for these districts can be found under the Regulations tab under Planning Department. The ordinances and maps can be found under the regulations tab.

The "Regulations" tab.

The Land use map

Read Page 6 of this.

Now, if you know which of those (if any) apply to you, you can determine which ordinance (if any) applies to you.

For your purposes, it would be best if the Future Land Use/Zoning plan has you in Rural or Agricultural.

Planned Use map

Rural Areas: Designated rural areas are intended to be protected and to contribute substantially to the quality of life in Berkeley County. They offer an alternative experience to those lands set aside for the growth areas. The Rural/Low Density Residential Areas of Berkeley County are made up of traditional family farm operations, commercial agricultural operations, open spaces, forests, low density residential areas, and natural resource production operations. The purpose of this area is to delineate those portions of the county where a rural living environment is the desired and most appropriate use. It also delineates those areas that will not be served by public water or sewer but will instead rely upon on-lot or small community systems. The Rural/Low Density Residential Areas designation will help preserve the county’s existing agricultural community and resources and also meet the needs and desires of Berkeley County residents to continue a rural tradition in many parts of Berkeley County. Proposed land uses in the rural residential areas would include large lot single family detached housing, recreation, agricultural operations, and natural resource production.

Easy.

Cities have ordinances outside of the county, I have learned. I suggest going onto the city’s website, locating the clerk’s phone or email and contacting them with your questions. That’s how I found out everything I did.

Back
Top Bottom