Wondering about my buckling...

Coopsmom

Chirping
Apr 17, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone!

So I got this cute little dappled buck in a group of Boer cross meat goats I got in just before Christmas. He was just too cute to sell so I kept him back and was hoping to breed him to a few does. Now I’m questioning his future fertility.

I was told he’s a May or June 2019 baby, and the guy I got him from supposedly breeds a pure Boer buck to his Boer x (insert various dairy breeds here) does. All of the other kids I got in this group had traditional Boer colouring.

First of all, I figured he would be larger by now. I’d say he’s about 50-60lb, but quite short. I know most male animals will find a way to get the job done regardless of size difference with the females, but I have some tall Nubian girls!!

Secondly, I thought his testicles would be bigger by now, and that he’d maybe be showing some interest in my girls. I’ll attach a couple of pictures - rear end view for his testicles and next to my Katahdin ewes for size reference.

Let me know your thoughts!

Attachments

• 16FD3BE2-F2E6-4E56-8CE5-ACE64F3A8332.jpeg
    16FD3BE2-F2E6-4E56-8CE5-ACE64F3A8332.jpeg
    1,023.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 10C9F39F-3EFE-49B1-A494-159B2072DA82.jpeg
    10C9F39F-3EFE-49B1-A494-159B2072DA82.jpeg
    455.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 99E3EB04-9E60-42A9-84AC-95A54AAE4E0D.jpeg
    99E3EB04-9E60-42A9-84AC-95A54AAE4E0D.jpeg
    664.8 KB · Views: 7
They mature on their own schedule. I have had well developed bucklings with their scrotums down to their knees and when I introduced them to a doe they hid behind me. On the other hand others that you think are too young and immature will impregnate does, often when you don't want them to.

Now as to how to use a short buck on a tall doe. That is easy if you are hand breeding and the buck is not wild and is used to being handled. Take something like a pallet, put a sheet of plywood cut to size on it so it has a solid surface and let him stand on that to reach the does. You can use anything but I liked the pallet because it is a nice size and the height is about right.

Your dapple is a very pretty buck. I would use him too.

Thank you so much for the feedback Cassie! I love him to bits and I was getting worried he would be nothing but a pretty pet. But I just need to be more patient. I was really hoping he’d breed a few does this winter but I’m probably rushing things. I’ve had sheep for a few years but this will be my first year breeding goats.

Thanks for the idea for the pallet! He is very quiet (so far) and doesn’t mind being handled, so that’s definitely an idea if it comes to that with my taller girls.

There is a caveat on your buckling. The size, or lack thereof, of his testicles is a concern. Feel them and compare the texture to that of your other bucklings. Do they feel soft and mushy in comparison? You may feel like a pervert when you do this, but when it comes to breeding livestock, often your dignity just goes out the window. In any event, give him time. Some are a LOT slower to mature than others. He is an awfully pretty buck.

I know, I was just crossing my fingers hoping he’d get in some breedings before it got warm 😝

And beat you to it! I was worried that maybe someone tried to band him or something and it didn’t work. I’ve palpated and turned him right upside down! 😂 The testicles feel firm and “normal”, and I can’t see any marks or scars that would make me think he’s had trauma.

It is rather cold here right now (-10 C) - fingers crossed things will look a little more “developed” in the coming months!

Back
Top Bottom