Wondering what breeds I may have?

SelfAsylum

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
I just bought chickens for the first time saturday (after much debate with my other half. lol). I'm pretty new to this but have been reading as much as possible to learn about raising and breeding them, and even sexing, although that seems like a tedious task that requires much experience? I'm curious on what breeds I may have picked out. I picked 4 red pullets as I mostly wanted eggs, and 2 bantams as I love their unique look. The majority of the bantams in the bin looked to be (from what I seen on another identification thread) Old English Game Bantams. I went with the most different out of the bin that didn't resemble the same characteristics as the rest. I chose the darkest one in the bin and another one with red wings (the only one that looked like that). I had my heart set as soon as I laid eyes on it. I'm just wondering if the coloring could be an early indicator of sex as they were unsexed. I'm really hoping for a hen as I'm pretty sure I'm not in ordinance to have six chickens..lol. So I don't want my neighbors getting annoyed (as much as I don't care) until we can settle on a house to buy over the next 5 months. Other wise I wouldn't care. I'm assuming it will be rather beautiful, so sex is moot other than the neighbor aspect as I didn't buy the bantams for eggs.

Sorry for such a long post..lol. Thank you for any time or help given. = ) I'm looking to learn as much as possible.

Last edited:
The caramel colored birds are Red SexLinks, and you can determine gender by looking for the caramel colored stripes down their backs. The males generally lack those stripes, and are very light yellow. It's hard to see in the picture, but I would hazard a guess that you have all females (of that type)

The one with gold wings with black edging is most likely a Gold Sebright. They tend to be loud, dislike confinement, and are generally high energy/nervous. They are notoriously difficult to determine gender for until very late in the game.

Your darker ones could be almost anything. Can you post better pics of them? Face and legs included?

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the information! : ) I planned to post more pictures later. I was at my school waiting for my next class so I only had those available pictures. You hit the nail on the head with the gold winged one. I would definitely have to say she/he is more hyper/nervous than the others. Same when I hold her, but she is more easy to put to sleep in my hands than the others. Same with the other bantam. They both have dark legs I believe, if that helps until I can get some pictures up in a couple hours.

The lighting is very poor on these as it was being compromised by the heat lamp. I just took them quickly. I will post some better lighted ones once my camera is charged. : )

Last edited:
Now that they have gotten more color in I've come to believe this to be a Gold Sebright as well? Especially if compared with the last pic from above.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom