Wondering what the cause of feather loss on head

MuscaDomestica

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2020
Madison, WI
Microraptor seems to be loosing feathers on her head. She is the lowest in the pecking order so I am not sure if it is mites or just being picked on.
Her vent doesn’t look unusual it is just her head.

Attachments

• 4F21DC81-BA16-4CCD-9E4B-2FD304C1A758.jpeg
    4F21DC81-BA16-4CCD-9E4B-2FD304C1A758.jpeg
    490.2 KB · Views: 42
  • BEF3E046-46E7-4D4D-8DE6-04CB37823D09.jpeg
    BEF3E046-46E7-4D4D-8DE6-04CB37823D09.jpeg
    402.1 KB · Views: 9
16 percent naturewise, using BOSS and dried pheonix worms as treats along with foraging in the backyard. None of the other chickens have any major feather loss, all four are laying eggs.

There is a rooster down the street (suburb) but we just hear him call.

16 percent naturewise, using BOSS and dried pheonix worms as treats along with foraging in the backyard. None of the other chickens have any major feather loss, all four are laying eggs.

There is a rooster down the street (suburb) but we just hear him call.
Looking back at your original post, your hen is missing feathers on her beard. Your other hens are eating her feathers because 16 percent protein is just not enough. Feathers contain protein and chickens know it. 20% is perfect and slightly higher during molting season. She should get her feathers back during her molt.

I have one EE hen that likes to dominate an australorp hen and her head looks like that. It's a bullying issue. Just make sure she has plenty of options for feed and water and obstacles to help her get away.
You can try peck no more it's supposed to help, I haven't done that yet, but I have added a few more obstacles and the bullying seems to be settling down.

Looking back at your original post, your hen is missing feathers on her beard. Your other hens are eating her feathers because 16 percent protein is just not enough. Feathers contain protein and chickens know it. 20% is perfect and slightly higher during molting season. She should get her feathers back during her molt.
That's not always the case though, I have a brahma that "grooms" my EEs beards - apparently she doesn't think they should have beards since the rest of the chickens in the flock don't. My chickens are on 20% flock maker.
Sometimes observing our chickens makes a big difference as far as the behavior they exhibit.

Back
Top Bottom