wondering who else owns roosters on a tiny lot

chicken pickin

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 3, 2012
This is our first year with chickens and turkeys and Ive always wanted a rooster. So we decided to buy more chicks straight run and ended up with 4 roosters (3 Japanese Bantams and 1 FBCM). They are still young the bantams are about 14weeks and the Marans is going on 7weeks. We live on a small lot of just under 2acres and the boys are starting to find their voices. I was just wondering who else raises Roos on smallish lots. Im excited to have the roosters around, Im hoping to keep 2, but its a little nerve wracking to think about what the neighbors think
hide.gif
. My husbands says dont worry about it and enjoy the sounds of our backyard farm.

I live on an acre. My neighbors are entertained by the rooster's crow. No complaints. One neighbor said that it reminded him of growing up on a farm.

Chris

Chickenpickin, we are in a similar situation. We currently have 5 roosters on our lot which is roughly 1.3 acres. We have a bunch of neighbors whose backyards are buffered by woods (which is now sparse here in Connecticut). Our boys hatched in July and have just recently started crowing up a storm. We plan on having four processed at a local farm, and keeping one Marans rooster (he's a big boy). I, too, am a quite a bit anxious about the noise and the neighbors. I really don't want to be "that guy" with the natural alarm clock. It's only been a couple days, we just mixed our "newer" girls with the older ones in the coop, but I'm starting to feel self-conscious about our crowing friends.

Chickenpickin, we are in a similar situation. We currently have 5 roosters on our lot which is roughly 1.3 acres. We have a bunch of neighbors whose backyards are buffered by woods (which is now sparse here in Connecticut). Our boys hatched in July and have just recently started crowing up a storm. We plan on having four processed at a local farm, and keeping one Marans rooster (he's a big boy). I, too, am a quite a bit anxious about the noise and the neighbors. I really don't want to be "that guy" with the natural alarm clock. It's only been a couple days, we just mixed our "newer" girls with the older ones in the coop, but I'm starting to feel self-conscious about our crowing friends.
It nice to know others are trying to have the full farm experience as well. Its tough for us that have smaller lots. Luckily I live on a road that is more like a cut through road not a neighborhood and there are other farms in the vacinity. My across the street neighbors just feel so ontop of me. I kind of shrink down and make a oh no face as I hear the crowing lol. I need to just be proud of my boys and manage my flocks appropriatly rehome or cull if necessary. Id love to hatch out our own chicks in the spring and try to be more self sufficient. I laughed when you said "that guy" with the natural alarm clock, I told my 7 year old neice that the roosters started to crow and she said "COOL now you have your own alarm clock" lol.

I live on an acre. My neighbors are entertained by the rooster's crow. No complaints. One neighbor said that it reminded him of growing up on a farm.
Chris
Im glad to hear that. I hope my neighbors enjoy it like I know I will.

I live on an acre on a long narrow lot. When the house closest to us was for sale due to foreclosure, I was so tempted to put a sign on their door "Warning, neighbor has three roosters and dogs that bark at doves". I didn't, but it worked out okay. The new neighbor doesn't complain about my roosters and I don't complain about the prevalent smell of skunk from his backyard pot farm
roll.png

I live on an acre on a long narrow lot. When the house closest to us was for sale due to foreclosure, I was so tempted to put a sign on their door "Warning, neighbor has three roosters and dogs that bark at doves". I didn't, but it worked out okay. The new neighbor doesn't complain about my roosters and I don't complain about the prevalent smell of skunk from his backyard pot farm
roll.png
Hilarious. Glad it worked out... for both of you lol. A long narrow lot must mean pretty close neighbors. My only concern is I am the new neighbor. I bought our house 1 year ago. Moved in cleared about a 1/2 acre of trees from my side lot and added tons of poultry house with chicken and turkeys not to mention my 2 barking dogs(they arent too bad) and now the crowing roosters
hide.gif
. My neighbors are probably thinking
smack.gif

We live on a 1/4 acre micro farm, and have a rooster as well as a dozen hens and two turkeys.

I have an Americana Rooster right now, but he's rather flighty and sort of 'stressy'--not a great rooster for a micro farm. I am getting a lovely Light Brahma (this evening!!), who is calm and mellow (for a rooster, of course) and a much better fit for a small area. Ironically he is a much larger bird!

I really love having a rooster here, though. My hens seem to be more placid and peaceful since I've decided to include one and we have no real pecking order issues (even when I introduced new hens).

Julie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom