Wonky beak

Dee83

Chirping
Dec 24, 2022
I have a 1 wk old chick that has a beak that doesn’t line up just wondering if this is a chicken issue or if she hurt her self before I got her a 3 day old

Attachments

• EAFD9358-4219-44E7-A7FD-96BBC1E35D90.jpeg
    EAFD9358-4219-44E7-A7FD-96BBC1E35D90.jpeg
    295.1 KB · Views: 7
It's known as "Crossbeak". Sometimes it's genetic, sometimes it's due to conditions in the incubator, and sometimes it's due to an injury.

Unfortunately, it will often get worse and worse and the bird will be unable to eat properly.

Some people will go to great lengths to maintain a crossbeak as a special needs bird, but I had one crossbeak raised in a batch of spare cockerels for meat. When I butchered him I discovered that even though I had checked regularly to make sure his crop was full at night and thus thought that the feeding arrangements I'd made were working, he was absolutely emaciated -- #1 on the condition chart.

1675077800680.png

I resolved that I would never again allow a bird to live months of slow starvation in that fashion but would, instead, cull any crossbeaks early.

Oh not what I was hoping to hear I don’t think I have it in me I have a hard decision to make then 🥺

Back
Top Bottom