Wonky Spot Check readings?

Bhmathews

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 15, 2013
I fired up my brand new HovaBator 1588 last Wednesday in anticipation of setting yesterday. The thing works like a dream! I have a manual thermometer, the mercury kind, in there and it is matching the temp on the bator, which is matching the set temp within .1 of a degree. The problem is the new Spot Check thermometer. It registers really slowly, and if I have it towards the top of the bator, in the open air, it reads within .2 of the bator temp. But once I lower it down towards the eggs it drops by over a degree, sometimes 1.5

Is this normal? My eggs have been set for 24 hours now, could it be they are still warming up and giving off a cooler ambient temp? Or do I need to think about replacing the Spot Check. I've replaced the battery twice, thinking it was that. Jbher, who I ordered with, is having a lot of trouble with hers reading accuractely and is sending hers back.

What do you think? Any advice?

If hers is malfunctioning, yours may be too. Id send it back. I have two 1588's and Ive NEVER had a temperature issue with either one of them. I used a thermometer/hygrometer from Wal-Mart and calibrate the hygrometer part and Ive never used anything else and have awesome hatches.

Thanks for the info! It's good to know that I have a bator I can count on. My last one was a LG.

Your actually not the first person Ive read about lately that's problems with their spot check therms..I saw another thread about it just a few days ago..

My friend said Sundhine Sally found out there was a warehouse issue with humidity. Some component with the battery is getting rusted
1f615.png
I contacted Brinsea, so we'll see what they say.

Id sure like to hear what they have to say about it. I was all set to order one but several people as of late all having the same problem got me a little gun shy.

Brinsea is sending me a new one. Their customer service is top notch!
I'll update how the new one works! :fl fingers crossed it works fine!

Back
Top Bottom