Woo Hoo They Capped The Well And It Has Stopped Leaking Oil

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by backdoorchicken, Jul 15, 2010.

1. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38255728/ns/disaster_in_the_gulf/?GT1=43001

HOUSTON — For the first time since the Gulf oil spill disaster started on April 20, the entire flow of oil was being contained Thursday as part of BP's pressure testing of a new cap, BP and federal officials said.

If the cap holds, the idea is to keep it on — and the flow checked — until a relief well can plug the blownout well in August.

If the cap does not hold, BP has added to its siphoning capacity and expects to be able to siphon up most if not all of the oil starting next week.

BP had slowly dialed down the flow as part of the pressure test. Engineers are now monitoring the pressure to see if the busted well holds.

BP Vice President Kent Wells said that oil stopped flowing into the water at 3:25 p.m. ET.

The federal Joint Information Center confirmed that the flow had stopped.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  2. This is wonderful news.

I have a broken heart for the waters in the Gullf. It will take decades of hard work and determination to clean this up and return the marine life back to normal.

The Exxon Valdez venture has never fully recovered. The states of FL, MS, TX and LA will forever more be changed.

3. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Bout dang time! Thanks for sharing the information. You'd think they would have broken in and announced it on the local news, but nooo, Dr.Phil is on.. LOL

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    [​IMG] Hallelujah!
    The company my sister works for(they asked not to be named-those modest folk) helped make some of the parts that capped that bad boy! Very proud of them! Way to go sis & company!

5. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    Finally! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by