1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WOO!! More free chicken for me!!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by booker81, Jul 4, 2011.

1. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Last December I had an ad on Craigslist to see if there were folks out there who had chickens they no longer wanted, that were willing to give them to me free for the purpose of me processing and feeding them to my family - pretty "selfish", but it was worth a try. I mean, who would give away chickens free? Especially knowing they were absolutely, positively going to be eaten?

Turns out a lot of people! I ended up doing two rounds of chicken pickups and processing - and I had everything from bantams to 2 year old roosters. I didn't care, I processed them all, and used them to the best purpose - roasting or crockpot or soup.

One of the folks who gave me the bantams just emailed me and asked if I would be interested in more - free [​IMG] More to the tune of 18 more roosters. I don't know if they are bantam or large fowl, but they are all 3 month old roosters.

Did I say they were free? [​IMG] I can't wait. She's not far from me, so they won't be too stressed coming over.

I love free food!

[​IMG]

If they are the little guys, I'll try to take some good pictures of processing bantams for folks - just to show it can be done [​IMG]

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Excellent. Its funny, though, that they can't emotionally detach themselves enough to do it themselves. Good for you, bad for them. I bet almost none of them are vegans.

It's only hard the first time or two, I bet -- I'm going to find out shortly with the Cornish Cross I'm raising.

3. ixnay

ixnay Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    Bridgton, Maine
    It's amazing what you can pick up if you're willing to do the "dirty work." If I didn't have so many meat birds on hand right now, I'd put up an ad for unwanted cockerels. Got a bunch last year. We have a great, but not certified, processing set-up. I have this vague suspicion that perhaps a little word of mouth might get us into a market we weren't originally considering, but I really hate to see the local certified guy charging $8 a bird.

I regularly check Craigslist for people who have a side of beef or pig where someone has backed out of the deal. It's bottom-feeding, sure, but better that the poor guy holding the bag gets some cash, and that the meat is used.

Nan

4. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    That's a great idea. Tons of people around here have backyard flocks, bet I could find some tasty roos for some cheap meat. [​IMG] Wish I would have thought of this earlier, would have been a good way to practice our butchering skills before doing it on our own birds. Enjoy your chicken dinner! [​IMG]

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Its wonderful what you are doing. And free food? How can you beat that?

6. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    That is great.Congratulations! When I finally decided to get chickens last year I went with a grab bag of Bantams. Well of 25 chicks, I was left with 6 girls! [​IMG] 6!!! The others started crowing at around 6-8 weeks so they had to go. As each breed got mature they went in the freezer too. I am really small and have small hands so processing them was not a problem for me. It took 3 whole birds to make a dinner for the two of us but they tasted great. I love free food.

7. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I'm pretty sure they like to hatch chicks out, but they don't like to process or eat their pets - which is fine by me - especially since they aren't averse to letting someone else take the roos off their hands for free. It lets them keep up with their fun in hatching (which I have zero desire to do), and they are no longer stuck with birds they don't want. Of course, I get the better end of the deal I think [​IMG]

They get the fun of chicks (and feeding them) and I get to process and eat humanely raised chicken for free!

Of course, I've been to their setup before (to get those first roos in December), and it's a lovely set up - they obviously love their chickens and take wonderful care of them. I in turn do my part in by processing them quickly and quietly, so the folks know that their chickens had a good life from beginning to end. I think that is important for folks who give up their pet chickens to me to eat.

8. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I need to start doing more CraigsList shopping. I feed my dogs RAW and I should start taking advantage of the free deals. I do have a hard time giving them some of the parts, like feet off my own chickens though. Last time I gave my Doberman feet, she decided to play with the jumbos and did some plucking of her own. Not sure if it was a coincidence but I need to wait until the dogs are a little more used to the chickens until I start feeding them the more recognizable parts again. I think I should be able to go back to it soon. We've only had the chickens for 7 weeks so it's still a novelty to them. The papillon still wants to do a little "herding" and the Doberman for the most part just wants to lay and watch them, except for the plucking episode.
    Did have a neighbor's pit bull break into my yard, though and demolish 7 of the jumbo chicks. I was impressed how protective my Doberman was. If it hadn't been for her, I would have lost the whole batch. She's a good chicken guardian, for the most part. When I had a jumbo die a couple of weeks ago, she knew it wasn't right and laid with her all morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by