Woo Pips ans zips again!!-and a question....

Riocotesei

Songster
11 Years
Aug 15, 2008
N.Texas
Today was day 20, and One was pipped and zipped when I got home from the collage.
smile.png
I'm excited cause this is my first brown egg to be hatched even though they are mutts. Anywho I'm excited and scared cause nothing else has pipped and this one isn't hatching as fast as ones from last time. He seems too tightly wrapped in there to me?Like he's too big, this seemed to be an issue from the last hatch as well. I'm not intervening but I'm sitting on my hands and hoping and watching....eeep!

Oh, I hope this one goes better for you! They can take 24-48 hours to actually hatch, after the first pip. I wouldn't worry. If it has been more than 24 hours, you could try to help, but do read the sticky on this topic first! I had to help my last chick hatch, of the ones that were hatching today. I believe it was too big for the shell.
Chicks that are too big can be caused by a few different things. The ones I know are too little eggs (like pullet eggs) and too high humidity. It causes the air sac to be too small, and gives the chick too much room to grow. Maybe you can try the dry incubation method, and see how that works for you?

I think I will try that next time.
He's popped out since then, thank goodness!
Theres still 20 more that need to get pipping!

Quote:
I believe you're wrong on a couple of points. I've hatched quite a few pullet eggs without many problems over the years. Too high of humidity does cause an aircell to be too small, but it doesn't affect the growth of the chick...it may cause the chick to drown or be a "mushy" chick, but it has nothing to do with how big the chick is.

Back
Top Bottom