Wood ash to treat mice/lice?

Three Silkies

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 9, 2013
Adelaide, South Australia
I have just read that wood ash can work as a natural way to get rid of mites/lice by adding it to the hens dust bath. Does anyone know if this is true? My hen and her baby chicks were badly infested. I put olive oil on the chicks and dusted the hen in Poultry Dust (active ingredient Maldison). I moved them to a new henhouse on the other side of the garden (and am in the process of scrubbing out the old house with Malawash). I've sprayed the new house with tea tree oil and put DE and wood ash on the floors. My hen has pecked her feathers out in patches and I've just noticed that the chicks have got blood at the base of their feathers too (obviously from pecking at the mites). The chicks are only 4 weeks old. I just don't know what else to do????

I read that too..... and I just dusted my broody hen with it hopefully she'll get rid of lice before the chicks hatch...

Hi if the infestation is really bad, rinse each chick in warm water and immediately put them under a heat source(heater, use a hair dryer or brooder box) till they are dry. Do a google search for a product called karbadust or something similar. This product is really effective. Use it on the chicks when they are completely dry. I hope this helps.

As for woodash, I have also been told to use this to prevent mites, but when there are already lots on your birds you need be a little more extreme.

I was searching around the forum and couldn't find an answer, since this is a current thread I figured I'd ask here. No problems with infestations, but I've noticed that my birds frequently are in my outdoor fireplace when they are free ranging. They go right into the ashes and scratch and peck around, it seems to be one of the favorite places for them, tonight all 9 of them were in the ash hanging out.

I know it rained today so it isn't a dust bath for them, they just seem drawn to it repeatedly.

I was searching around the forum and couldn't find an answer, since this is a current thread I figured I'd ask here.  No problems with infestations, but I've noticed that my birds frequently are in my outdoor fireplace when they are free ranging.  They go right into the ashes and scratch and peck around, it seems to be one of the favorite places for them, tonight all 9 of them were in the ash hanging out.

I know it rained today so it isn't a dust bath for them, they just seem drawn to it repeatedly.

Seems like they like it then. That's good news. I think I'm going to try putting sand in their dust bath as well as I hear that's also good.

Yeah..... they love ash and it's great for controling mite and lice.... always keep it available for them in a big litter box or something especially during the winter and rainy months when they can't dust bath outside.... so put it in the cooop for them

Back
Top Bottom