Wood chips and mold or any other concerns in run.

Hollyannkelly

In the Brooder
Jan 30, 2023
Pasadena, CA
Hi all! New member here. This question has been asked before in some ways but my question wasn’t exactly answered.
We are building a run and there is already a thick layer of tree mulch/chips from misc trees from a landscaping company drop last summer. It has definitely aged, all tree types unknown, I do know oak and pine but more was in there. My question is that with the rains, as it decomposes more, I’m assuming fungus or molds will be present.
It’s the natural process right?
Is this safe for the girls as they scratch through it and get the worms etc? Or should I remove it all and just have dirt? We don’t have chickens yet, getting chicks on Friday so it will be awhile before anyone is in there. We’re in Southern California so we don’t have a long wet season. Thanks!!!!!!!

If you think about it, the soil probably has the same bacteria etc as the mulch anyway. The only problem would be if it gets really wet. Our chickens loved digging in the bark we got them.

Welcome!

I think mulch etc. makes great digging areas for the chickens. Don't suppose mould will be an issue - and decomposing actually makes the poop less noticeable. You could probably change it out every once in a while and use the composted lot for your garden. They'll turn it for you as well.
Someone else more knowledgeable might need to chip in...it's really just my opinion.
My opinion is that it should be fine as well but then I read conflicting info online, not here, and get confused.
Another question if you don’t mind is composing food scraps etc…all safe foods in the run area. I read the “rotting” food is bad for them and that it’s great! I don’t think most food waste will even last long enough to be an issue or compost, lol.

My opinion is that it should be fine as well but then I read conflicting info online, not here, and get confused.
Another question if you don’t mind is composing food scraps etc…all safe foods in the run area. I read the “rotting” food is bad for them and that it’s great! I don’t think most food waste will even last long enough to be an issue or compost, lol.
People can be fussy about hygiene, but I think that chickens naturally live outside so...
I probably wouldn't leave food in the run but it's up to you. It helps to put it in a dish or something to make sure they eat it. You shouldn't really have that problem though!

I’m in So Cal too and I have wood chips in my run including other things like leaves, pine shavings from the coop, etc. I just leave it all in there and the chickens turn it for me! I periodically add more leaves and wood chips to the run too. I’ve had zero issues and zero health problems. I give them food scraps and anything that’s left just disappears in the layers of mulch (although they eat most of it, it’s mostly veggies and fruit, sometimes pasta and rice which is gone very fast).

I’m in So Cal too and I have wood chips in my run including other things like leaves, pine shavings from the coop, etc. I just leave it all in there and the chickens turn it for me! I periodically add more leaves and wood chips to the run too. I’ve had zero issues and zero health problems. I give them food scraps and anything that’s left just disappears in the layers of mulch (although they eat most of it, it’s mostly veggies and fruit, sometimes pasta and rice which is gone very fast).
Your advice is pretty sound. I'm personally wary of fruits and veg and meat but carbs and things are surely fine. Or you can throw it out and the wild birds will finish it off.

We are building a run and there is already a thick layer of tree mulch/chips from misc trees from a landscaping company drop last summer.
How thick?
Has it been sitting in the run all that time with no disturbance?

Chances are that there is enough light and air around not to grow too much of anything toxic.

We’re in Southern California so we don’t have a long wet season.
Welcome to BYC! @Hollyannkelly
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1675116688458.png

Back
Top Bottom