Wood duck issue

OzawkieBantams

Songster
12 Years
Sep 15, 2010
Ozawkie, KS
I have had this pair of Wood ducks for three years. The hen is a good hen she lays her eggs and will set . Well the last two years I didn't get any hatchlings. The first year I figured was due to the time I got them (March). Last year I seen the Drake breed the hen multiple times. Hen laid eight eggs. I waited til the third week to pull her eggs to put in the incubator. I candled her eggs. There was NO development. This year same nest box and she laid five eggs. Drake bred her like crazy. Again this year waited til thrid week pulled her eggs . Again no development!
What are the issues here?
Drake infertile? Do I need a new Drake?
Something wrong on the hens end?
PLEASE HELP
DAREN

It could be a problem with either the drake or hen, but if the eggs and their yolks appear normal, I would think it more likely that the drake is sterile.

I agree with sourland. It could be either. Also both birds could be too old which is something most dont think about. Thats why I like getting first years if possible.

Hi there,
from experience; if you are seeing the drake treading alot you would get fertile eggs.
It is obivous that the drake is sterile and you need a new drake. The female is probably ok as she is still laying, however introducing a new drake within that pair might cause trouble and you will need to get rid of him.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Had a feeling it was the Drake. Guessing I'm gonna have to get a new pair. And just separate the old drake.
As for getting rid of him well that's not an option. I don't wanna do the same thing that this person did too me if in fact he is sterile. That explains why they were so cheap!
Sounds like I'm gonna have a sterile pretty boy for few more years.

Thanks guys
Daren

Back
Top Bottom