Wood ducks and mandarin ducks

Where I am at in Kirksville, Mo you only need a permit for birds caught in the wild, so if you bought say wood ducks that were bred in captivity you would not need a permit. Hope this helps.
big_smile.png

Hi all. I haven't been on this lovely site for a while as I sadly had to rehome my gorgeous ducks a few years back due to relocation issues. But now however the ducks are back! Whoopie!

Im picking up some runners soon but my o/h has decided he wants his own ducks and has decided on a pair of mandarins (expensive taste!).

So firstly, how do mandarins get on with domestic ducks? I've read they can segregate themselves and not go around with the flock.

And secondly, we were planning to let them all free range together in our garden. I've heard their wings need clipping or they will fly off. Will this stop them climbing? Someone wrote somewhere that they climb like squirrels!!? I have a few trees and big bushes which I don't mind them in but rather they didn't incase they hop over the fence/walls to next door!

I'm wondering if I should tell my o/h to pick more sensibly while we don't live in a farm!!

Any advice really appreciated!

Sorry Madies don't make good pets at all toooo flighty and will fly away at 1st chance without looking back. They are seasonal layers and Need a special mandrian nest to nest in . A baby pool works well
allie
That explains why my old wood ducks was so mean!! ):

Back
Top Bottom