Wood ducks & Mandarins (pics)

A few more...........all but the last one taken this morning.........Canon 300d/EF 55-250mm IS lens, last one with Canon 300d/EF 85mm 1.8 prime.

giffy
-----------------

Wood duck (hen) in back, Wood drake in middle, Mandarin duck (hen) in front

wood-drake-hen-mandarin-hen.jpg

Mandarin duck (hen)

mandarin-hen.jpg

Mandarin drake

mandarin-drake3.jpg

Wood drake

photobucket-wood.jpg

Those are also real nice pictures. Is that the 30D you are using? I don't remember a 300D. I used to have the 30D but I upgraded to the 40D last year. Did you buy those as eggs or were they already older? I have been looking for either eggs or ducklings but only see the older ones for sale.

Quote:
The 300d is the original Digital Rebel which they came out with in '03.........since mine they have come out with the 350d, 400d, 450d and last June the 1000d, I believe the last in the Rebel line.

I really have the itch for the 40d that you have (it is light years above mine) and those prices have dropped a ton since Canon came out with the 50d last year. What drives me crazy is how fast the camera manufacturers come out with new camera bodies. My Rebel has served me well but I have been telling the wife it is time for a new "toy".

giffy

Quote:
The 300d is the original Digital Rebel which they came out with in '03.........since mine they have come out with the 350d, 400d, 450d and last June the 1000d, I believe the last in the Rebel line.

I really have the itch for the 40d that you have (it is light years above mine) and those prices have dropped a ton since Canon came out with the 50d last year. What drives me crazy is how fast the camera manufacturers come out with new camera bodies. My Rebel has served me well but I have been telling the wife it is time for a new "toy".

The 40D is a nice camera but it seems lately like the cameras are going the same route as computers in the sense that what was top of the line yesterday is a dinosaur the next day. My first camera in the digital world was a Rebel and it more then served it's purpose. It seems a lot of the functions are overkill on some of the newer cameras

giffy

Quote:
A few days ago I was in BestBuy and played with the 40d & 50d in their camera department. They focus so fast as compared to my Rebel and I love the lcd and live view function. Next time Canon has their rebate period I will probably pull the trigger. Either one would be a huge jump from the 300d.

giffy
----------------

Wow, just wanted to let you know that your website is wonderful! I love the nest box videos. Very cute!

Quote:
A few days ago I was in BestBuy and played with the 40d & 50d in their camera department. They focus so fast as compared to my Rebel and I love the lcd and live view function. Next time Canon has their rebate period I will probably pull the trigger. Either one would be a huge jump from the 300d.

giffy
----------------

Either way you can't go wrong, they are both outstanding cameras. I love the speed and large viewscreen.

Giffy,
I just took a look at your website and noticed with one of your coops it looked you were using the pvc type pipe for the structure. How is that held in place? It kind of looked a little like you were using pipes in the ground. I saw a set up like that last fall and kind of forgot how it was designed. Now I was thinking about doing something like that for some meat birds I have coming.

You have some nice setups on there as well not too mention more nice pics. I just started keeping waterfowl and am still trying to find some nice setups that work well but are not too elaborate.

Matt

Matt - It is a metal cold frame, you can get them in about any size imaginable from farm supply companies. The metal hoops fit inside larger pipe that is in the ground. On the outside I have pvc coated wire covering the whole thing. I have been using it for about three years and have not had any problems with it.

giffy
--------------

Quote:
Thanks,
what do you use for the roof over the pipe, tarps? What about the floor inside, just dirt/grass or do you use shavings or something else?

Back
Top Bottom