Wood mulch in a run?

Enigmius

Crowing
5 Years
Jan 5, 2018
Mansfield, Tx
Would you say that wood mulch is too hard or rough for duck’s feet in a run that has a hardware cloth roof and is exposed to the weather?

I figured one of y’all out there have tried this. We’ve had so much rain lately and the run is a tad muddy. They still have their covered roof coop that is full of dry straw for warmth and dryness, but the run is looking nasty.

The coop/run is on a hill, so it normally drains ok, but I think the soil is overwhelmed at the moment.
So yeah, what about wood mulch?

Would you say that wood mulch is too hard or rough for duck’s feet in a run that has a hardware cloth roof and is exposed to the weather?

I figured one of y’all out there have tried this. We’ve had so much rain lately and the run is a tad muddy. They still have their covered roof coop that is full of dry straw for warmth and dryness, but the run is looking nasty.

The coop/run is on a hill, so it normally drains ok, but I think the soil is overwhelmed at the moment.
It’s great! Once wet, it becomes pretty soft but still serves its purpose. I have it for the run as well and change it every 4-5 months.

I thought about that too because we can get it for free at the local dump but then after thinking about it and consulting with a few people I decided against it because of bumble foot. I'm afraid that some of the sharp ends of the wood might stick them and create more of a problem than mud.

well, I’ve been lucky so far with a plush coop full of straw and a grassy run. So, I haven’t had to deal with bumblefoot yet. But the grass in the run is all but gone now, and because the ground is so saturated from our rains, it’s not draining/drying.. which is ridiculous considering it’s on a hill.

hmm.

We use mulch in our run with landscape fabric underneath and it works pretty well. No mud and the ducks like to forage through it.
Our run is uncovered in the summer and a good rain will wash it pretty clean, or we can hose it down it just takes a bit to dry.
The stuff we get is pretty soft but there are some bigger chunks that we rake out.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/2-cu-ft-Cypress-Mulch-Blend-52050045/203579960
0725181831a~3.jpg

That's nice mulch. When I think of mulch I think of the big pieces that usually come in bags. That that you showed @Runner duck mom is more like shredded. Much easier on the feet.
It's the only mulch we could find at Home Depot that wasn't dyed and seems to be pretty good on their feet. Of course every time we put new mulch in they are afraid of it :)
Sometimes walmart carries it too but right now the garden center is all Christmas stuff :th

I've used pine bark mini and regular in my chicken run for several years without a problem. Great in rainy season, too, as water just runs off of it. I don't know if it would be different for duck feet though.

Yeah. There is just one corner that the water seems to collect...and reek.

I might see if home depo has that mulch you posted and just use it in that corner.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom