Wood pellet users...?

shakecc

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 26, 2008
Central OH
I am considering switching to the wood pellets from shaving. In our horse stalls it breaks up into a fine sawdust, does it do the same in the chicken coop? I am also wondering if it does break up can the poop be shifted out of it to prolong sawdust life?

Quote:
My friend uses the pellets for bedding for their horses and she just last night stripped it all out and started using bagged shavings again because she said there is such a dust problem with the pellets. She also said you have to wet them in order to keep dust down and get the pellets to breakdown. I don't think I want to hose down the pellets inside my coop.

Hi, I use the pellets in both horse stalls and in my coop but I only have 3 hens so I don't know if that is appropriate for your situation. As far as the horse stalls you only moisten them initially to expand them and then just add plain pellets after that; I'll mix shavings and use the pellets as a base for the really wet horses. Most people don't realize that you are only supposed to wet the pellets to start. The horses take care of wetting them after that!

As far as my coop, I initially bedded it with 2 bags and never wet them and I just keep stirrin it up about once a week (it's about 3 inches inches deep, and it's no where near breaking down). It's very humid here as well, but I have no odor and just, exuse me, some dry turd pieces. There is no dust, but I don't know if it is due simply to the high humidity or the pellets...

That's my experience so far....

Orchidchick

Back
Top Bottom