Wood pellets for duck bedding

Thank you. I sure will. I think I'll give it a couple of weeks to fully have a good review of them.
i will say this the wood shaving I buy [horse bedding] Is great stuff. I keep it thick in all my flocks houses and just go in daily and scoop out the wet poopy areas then fluff and by time for bed it's all dry. I add as needed. So maybe if not completely sold on the wood pellets you might add some shaving too and see how that goes.

I got the pellets, put a few in a bowl with water to see how the process works (as I seen on you tube) and sure enough they puffed up and seemed fairly dry to the touch. It was late so I was going to do the pen the next day. Dear daughter, they are her ducks, wondered what I was doing. Told her my plan. She didn't like the idea because when they were little we had a box with shavings in it and as soon as we placed them in the box they were eating them. It sure looked like they were eating them because they were inside their bills when we opened them. so, we took them back out within minutes. She is worried now that they are outside we won't see them and they will eat the pine bits. And they are real tiny bits. I tried for a couple of days talking with her about trying it out but she doesn't think so. I asked my husband what he thought. All he said was he wasn't going to be responsible for their deaths. Her last two pets were killed by a weasel. So sad! We are quite attached to these little darlings. I'm afraid it's straw forever. And it seems like we go thru a lot of it and needs to be cleaned constantly :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I got the pellets, put a few in a bowl with water to see how the process works (as I seen on you tube) and sure enough they puffed up and seemed fairly dry to the touch. It was late so I was going to do the pen the next day. Dear daughter, they are her ducks, wondered what I was doing. Told her my plan. She didn't like the idea because when they were little we had a box with shavings in it and as soon as we placed them in the box they were eating them. It sure looked like they were eating them because they were inside their bills when we opened them. so, we took them back out within minutes. She is worried now that they are outside we won't see them and they will eat the pine bits. And they are real tiny bits. I tried for a couple of days talking with her about trying it out but she doesn't think so. I asked my husband what he thought. All he said was he wasn't going to be responsible for their deaths. Her last two pets were killed by a weasel. So sad! We are quite attached to these little darlings. I'm afraid it's straw forever. And it seems like we go thru a lot of it and needs to be cleaned constantly
roll.png
Hi there,
I am going to try sawdust as a supplement to my pine shavings. I have read that it is absorbent and can be scooped, almost like cat litter...the poop can be removed and the dry material can stay in the coop. I think the pine shavings have been very good, and if I can find a good source of "free" clean sawdust, I will perhaps be able to buy less pine shavings over time. Looking to make the coop as dry as I can as winter is coming in WI.
Hope you get the pellet issue figured out.

That was my hope to. A nice clean pen for winter. These pellets break down into fine pieces and I heard that they scoop out like the cat litter also. Would be an awesome bedding. I just don't want to chance them eating them. It would be different if we had a whole pen of ducks but we only have 2 and 13 chickens. The chickens have pine shavings and we haven't had a single problem. But the ducks being her pets make this hard.

I use equine fresh pine pellets in my brooders, heard about it from a chicken breeder that swears by it. My brooders are indoors and it's the only bedding that keeps the odor under control. only problem I have it keeping it dry with the ducklings splashing water out all day.... I started putting Pine shavings under the water to help manage it a little better

We have factory for wood pellet for bedding high quality
Low price is the best
Premium wood pellet

I use equine fresh pine pellets in my brooders, heard about it from a chicken breeder that swears by it. My brooders are indoors and it's the only bedding that keeps the odor under control. only problem I have it keeping it dry with the ducklings splashing water out all day.... I started putting Pine shavings under the water to help manage it a little better
I use boot tray to keep our geese “soup” under control. It’s great! I got a very large tray and food, mushy paste and water all get contained.
I also use a small boot tray for our Salmon faverolles that are growing up with our Pilgrims.

Back
Top Bottom