Wood type & width for predator proof chain link dog kennel?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Fawkes, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Fawkes

Fawkes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Is there a general guideline on what kind of wood/how thick it needs to be to keep out foxes/raccoons?

I need a stronger wood around the top of the walls, where the walls meet the bottom of the roof basically, but I'm not sure what to get and after doing some googling I can't find anything. Everything talks about what gauge wire to get but not on what thickness wood! I'm worried about foxes/raccoons gnawing through so want to make sure I get the right thing.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If you want something really sturdy, perhaps 2"x8" boards.

Can you get a photo of the tops of the walls?

I put half inch metal 16 gauge hardware cloth across the top of the duck house to keep predators out. I fastened it with washers and screws every 12 inches, and with poultry nails every 3 or 4 inches in between.

3. Fawkes

Fawkes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Thanks, I will post pictures of it later today! :)

4. uncledoug

uncledoug New Egg

Feb 16, 2016
    good day to you. I am also building a suitable pen for chickens and am saddled with living in a national forest far from any city. Which means i have very strong predators. You have two choices. Wood, for which i would choose treated 4 x 4s for the top and posts. Dog Kennel sections may be affixed quite stoutly to these. Bury each post with a good nine inch post hole and dig the hole 12 inches deeper than u want to bury the post. Place a good bucket of 3/4 gravel at the bottom of the post hole so the post end is not sitting in water, will insure u a very long life for the post.

the other option is the following; Recycling businesses usually have a store of used well drilling sections, which are very stout 3 inch wide , some are four, and these can be welded up with well casing posts for an impenetrable perimeter. they run 20 - 30 buck for each 20 foot section. Spendy but only a dedicated BULL could get thru.

Im my country , unless your fence is 9 foot high the deer simply rock back on their hind leg and hop over any 6 foot fence. Deer dont eat chickens but sure will eat the feed. and cause havoc with feeders.

Hope that helps. I wish u luck. Its fun enjoying the finish product.

Im my country we have to protect the over head from chicken hawks and eagles and flacons. So a good hardware cloth with bracing insures no visitors allowed.

Doug

5. Vosh Sahaal

Vosh Sahaal Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2015
    Doug wins. Hands down, Doug wins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by