Woodchuck! Need deterrent and/or bait help

Life is Good!

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2011
suburbia Chicagoland
A woodchuck moved in under our front porch. If it was out in the backyard, I know the three "s" method works very well....but I can't very likely do that same treatment in our front semi-suburban yard.

We've gotten them to move elsewhere before by using, um, DH's urine. And will likely try that again as a deterrent. But I need that darn thing moved out! I'm trying to build a retaining wall planter and the woodchuck keeps digging out the bricks! So I'm considering trapping.

I'm reluctant to use our dog-proof coon traps as the first issue (no guns in front yard!)...so I was considering getting a Hav-a-heart trap - trap the critter, pick up trap, move to back yard, dispatch to the great beyond out back.

What bait would attract a woodchuck? Any ideas?! I don't want the coons that travel down our yards and street all night long, nor the skunk who passes through/visits at 4am...just the darn woodchuck! And yes, I'll tear apart the steps to the porch to try and place the trap closer. Heck, I'll open the whole darn thing if I knew it wouldn't fall off the house (but it would)!

I've used cantaloupe for bait with great results. Unlike most critters they are diurnal, so set the trap out during daylight hours.

I've only trapped a woodchuck once, with chicken feed. I'll try the cantaloupe!! They are under the barn floor, and generally everywhere here. I do hate to use the bait for them, or kill traps, so I don't get the wrong critters.
Mary

I used honeydew melon, because they raid my melon patch!
What I find is they are not in my area,, ya right!, why then are places offering up services to get rid of them.They can do real damage to your home as well as cave in's of the tunnels create holes for your cattle to step in and break a leg..
I got one with the melon, the dogs got another last year, how many this year?
Edit; I also got a coon and several possums in the same trap with the melon as bait.

They can be hard to trap......read that you almost need to use some fencing along their regular route to 'funnel' them towards the trap.

Had a couple take up residence under a deck and patio slab a few years ago. Used a garden hose shoved down their hole and flooded the hole, took a couple times of that to push them out to the back field, where I could get the window open to shoot them without spooking them off before drawing a bead.

Back
Top Bottom