Woodchucks

What is a wharf rat trap? A spring mouse trap on steroids? If so I am afraid my chickens would get in it.
You need to be afraid, Very Afraid! They are like the little snap traps but about 1 foot long and 6 inches wide. They will break fingers and hands like it was nothing.
You would need to keep your birds put up till it kills all the rodents and you remove the trap. They often have chains that you picket down so if you catch a coon and it doesn't kill, they can't take off with your trap. :gig
I've heard for them being used to catch mink, martens,and weasels also.

Last edited:
We are overrun with woodchucks here, and don't have the time or determination to sit out there with the .22 and shoot them.
However, the one who was raiding my coop for feed did get caught in the live trap I set up out there. The only woodchuck that I've ever caught in a live trap, BTW, but it was worth it.
Mary

If it comes down to having to chute' em' with your .22, if it helps. If you scare them in the early daylight, and set down, they'll usually be back out withing 15 minutes, if you don't move. They're wanting some breakfast. Stay still, let them come out belly down, give them a couple minutes, gun up, rested and ready, then whistle like a guinea pig, they stand up.

The only woodchuck that I've ever caught in a live trap, BTW, but it was worth it.
Mary

You can lay a blanket or a tarp and make a little tunnel for them around the trap, you want to give them a couple feet of tunnel before they walk on the wire of the trap. Best bait.....are you ready? Dirt spoils from around their hole, sprinkle a handful in the tunnel entrance, and at the back of the live trap. Scent I guess?

Also, be careful if you try dogs, I am sure the Saint Bernards would just give it one chomp, but a ground hog can mess even a coon dog up pretty bad. With a little dog if they get the upper hand, sometimes they will even pursue them a little ways (25 feet or so), vindictive or it's like they want to make the message clear. Don't get me wrong, there are smaller natural "coursing" dogs that know how to handle them. Some black labs seem to be good "groundhog dogs".

Good luck, the cayenne should deter it. Also, I don't think a little cayenne will hurt you chickens. I have one hen in particular that likes to jump down inside my compost barrels, I had to start burying my really hot pepper seeds. She'd vanish into the drum, then you'd see her pop back up, shaking her head going "pft pft", and then right back down to do it all again. Funny, but I started covering them.

If it comes down to having to chute' em' with your .22, if it helps. If you scare them in the early daylight, and set down, they'll usually be back out withing 15 minutes, if you don't move. They're wanting some breakfast. Stay still, let them come out belly down, give them a couple minutes, gun up, rested and ready, then whistle like a guinea pig, they stand up.

You can lay a blanket or a tarp and make a little tunnel for them around the trap, you want to give them a couple feet of tunnel before they walk on the wire of the trap. Best bait.....are you ready? Dirt spoils from around their hole, sprinkle a handful in the tunnel entrance, and at the back of the live trap. Scent I guess?

Also, be careful if you try dogs, I am sure the Saint Bernards would just give it one chomp, but a ground hog can mess even a coon dog up pretty bad. With a little dog if they get the upper hand, sometimes they will even pursue them a little ways (25 feet or so), vindictive or it's like they want to make the message clear. Don't get me wrong, there are smaller natural "coursing" dogs that know how to handle them. Some black labs seem to be good "groundhog dogs".

Good luck, the cayenne should deter it. Also, I don't think a little cayenne will hurt you chickens. I have one hen in particular that likes to jump down inside my compost barrels, I had to start burying my really hot pepper seeds. She'd vanish into the drum, then you'd see her pop back up, shaking her head going "pft pft", and then right back down to do it all again. Funny, but I started covering them.

I have friend with a rat terrier that she runs in agility. On a recent Saturday, the ran a course ( and won it), her dog took off and killed a woodchuck then came back and ran a second course and won that too. Of course a pair of rat terriers is better than just one, but if one is all there is, then....

I have friend with a rat terrier that she runs in agility. On a recent Saturday, the ran a course ( and won it), her dog took off and killed a woodchuck then came back and ran a second course and won that too. Of course a pair of rat terriers is better than just one, but if one is all there is, then....

Oh yeh, those little rat terriers are nuts, they are an asset around any farm. I used to wrestle with one a friend had, he'd draw blood right through a pair of heavy lined welding gloves.

Word of advice with the cayenne pepper:

Absolutely do not use it outdoors if there is any wind. I used the pepper powder in my wild bird feeders because the squirrels were literally destroying the feeders. Needless to say it blew directly into my eyes when I thought to cheat outside. It's much better to do it in a garage or other sheltered outdoor place. I'd suggest gloves and pulling out some goggles from the swimming pool or something to be safe. :)

Tried shooting them before but the little buggers are really hard to get sighted in before they take off. Any little sound or movement alerts them.
Yes indeed!
Have had them under a deck and patio...had to harass them out of there, they moved into back field then I could open window without them running off and get a bead on them.

Surprised they'd eat chicken feed....they are destructive tho.

Back
Top Bottom