Woods Open Air Coop Design - Amish Built

Pics
I love all the discussion . I have drawn out our woods design. Then purchased the book and got all confused. I think I'm back on track, to some degree. I'm learning a lot. Our woods won't have a floor and I think I've figured out how to build this in post and beam construction. Although it will take away some inside foot print, I don't think it will matter much cause were going for a lot more room then we need. Well keep us informed I love the read.
Scott

Wonder if this might also be helpful? This is how I did my side windows......which are cheap plastic window frames I got from Lowes......about $20 each.

20180316_083026.jpg

Windows are mounted on the horizontal framing of the front scratch shed. To open and close, they simply slide sideways. Slid all the way to the right, this window will pop out for cleaning or repair. It is held in place by the framing. To close it, left edge simply slides into a blind pocket made by nailing a cleat to the veriticle monitor framing.

20180316_083242.jpg

An cage wire was nailed to the framing before the siding when on........window slides back and forth just behind the wire.........

20180316_083312.jpg

BTW, with those windows closed, air movement inside the house in a hard wind dies out to nothing. But when I slid that window open for the photo, just that little bit.......air pocket collapsed and movement inside the house picked up sharply. In the hot humid months of summer.......a good thing. Air movement will also help dry out the house if you get an abundance of rain or snow........

And speaking of Amish built, met with a young Amish lad yesterday to arrange to have him do some barn repair work for me. I was explaining the Woods house and he had never heard of one. I offered to share with him plans and photos of my build....hoping he might get the idea to start building these and offering them for sale. His home is on a heavily traveled highway and they already have a roadside produce stand. If this comes to pass.......may be an option for those in the Midwest who want an Amish built Woods of their very own. :woot

A buyer would have to make arrangements to transport it, but it could be either the 6' x 10' (up to a dozen birds) or 8' x 12" (up to 2 dozen birds).

Wonder if this might also be helpful? This is how I did my side windows......which are cheap plastic window frames I got from Lowes......about $20 each.

View attachment 1298322

Windows are mounted on the horizontal framing of the front scratch shed. To open and close, they simply slide sideways. Slid all the way to the right, this window will pop out for cleaning or repair. It is held in place by the framing. To close it, left edge simply slides into a blind pocket made by nailing a cleat to the veriticle monitor framing.

View attachment 1298323

An cage wire was nailed to the framing before the siding when on........window slides back and forth just behind the wire.........

View attachment 1298324

Thank you so much for this! Question...what keeps the window from falling into the coop when closed?

When in the closed position, right edge of the window shown stops behind the middle vertical framing support. Right side of window is shown behind this support. To the left edge, window slides into the blind pocket. So rests on the horizontal framing, is kept in place by the vertical framing. Very solid!!!

20180316_083026.jpg

When in the closed position, right edge of the window shown stops behind the middle vertical framing support. Right side of window is shown behind this support. To the left edge, window slides into the blind pocket. So rests on the horizontal framing, is kept in place by the vertical framing. Very solid!!!

View attachment 1298340
Cool...that's what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure. Now...where the heck did you find windows at Lowes for $20 bucks???? lol I asked the window guy and he looked at me like I had 3 heads...

Back
Top Bottom